Forum

TruthMove Forum

TruthMove Forum » TruthMove Main Forum

ABC crap (debate questions) (2 posts)

1. truthmod
    Administrator
  2. truthmod
    Administrator

What the hell is George Stephanopolous doing moderating/asking questions in this debate anyway? Conflict of interest?

What Does 9/11 Have to Do with 60's Radicals? Ask Hillary Clinton
    http://www.alternet.org/election08/82703/

While nearly all politicians shade the truth now and then, some utterly disdain the truth, a category that includes George W. Bush and increasingly Hillary Clinton, as she made clear again in Wednesday night's debate on the strange topic of Vietnam-era Weather Underground leader William Ayers.

But Clinton surrogates didn't give up, taking the Ayers attack line to right-wing talk radio and the Internet where it was kept alive. The Clinton's campaign's doggedness was rewarded as the issue surfaced prominently in Wednesday night 's debate in Philadelphia.

ABC News moderator George Stephanopoulos, whose national career was launched when he served as a top spokesman for President Bill Clinton, framed the Ayers question much as the Clinton campaign and the right-wing media have, suggesting some dangerous association between Obama and a mad bomber.

Stephanopoulos even suggested that Ayers had taken pleasure in the 9/11 attacks, saying: "In fact, on 9/11 he was quoted in the New York Times saying, 'I don't regret setting bombs; I feel we didn't do enough.'"

As Sen. Clinton and Stephanopoulos surely know, that edition went to press on Sept. 10, hours before the 9/11 attacks. In other words, the Ayers comment had no relationship to the 9/11 attacks.

What Clinton and Stephanopoulos did was what lawyers refer to as "prejudicial" -- they introduced an emotional component, 9/11, in a deceptive way to elicit a visceral reaction from those listening.

"I'm going to have to respond to this just really quickly," Obama said after Clinton finished. "By Sen. Clinton's own vetting standards, I don't think she would make it, since President Clinton pardoned or commuted the sentences of two members of the Weather Underground, which I think is a slightly more significant act."

Posted 16 years ago #

You must log in to post.