Forum

TruthMove Forum

TruthMove Forum » TruthMove Main Forum

"The Dark Knight" movie poster makes me squirm (11 posts)

1. truthmover
    Administrator

Maybe I'm being a bit overly sensitive, but that image immediately evoked the WTC plane impact and collapse. Falling debris, molten metal, and smoke. "Welcome to a world without rules." Anarchy requiring covert vigilante justice. Sounds a bit like some neo-con police state propaganda.

While some who have thought little about 9/11 since it happened might not immediately make that connection, one could argue that the image of the hole in building has become a part of our pre-conscious mental landscape. And of course, advertising and government agencies are well versed in the pre-conscious mental landscape of the average American.

In this case I would assume that the poster is simply a product of the marketing department and has little to do with the movie. I'm guessing that this imagery will not be found in the movie. I'm gunna see it, so I'll find out.

Posted 15 years ago #
  2. casseia

That image unquestionably evokes all the iconography of 9/11 -- iconography that was created as images of the day were selected and then forcibly smeared on our visual cortices for weeks and months.

Posted 15 years ago #
  3. truthmod
    Administrator

The building, and the skyscraper especially, are likely to have subconscious connotations with stability, structure, our environment, our home, our selves/life. Urban skylines redefine our environment and symbolize human power to tame nature and create our own world--to be potent and powerful. Seeing this threatened triggers insecurity and and anxiety.

To witness something that is so huge and immutable be pierced, burned, destroyed is an intense and terrifying psychological experience. It's like watching your world or your brain crumble. For those who don't have a firm grip on their own minds, and are subject to the whims of everybody around them, this is a perfect opportunity (for those who wish to do so) for restructuring the collective unconscious.

Posted 15 years ago #
  4. JennySparks

In this case I would assume that the poster is simply a product of the marketing department and has little to do with the movie. I'm guessing that this imagery will not be found in the movie. I'm gunna see it, so I'll find out.

You and me both. Been bats about "Bats" for ages and the Bale Batman is brutal. Kicks that Keaton ponce without even trying.

My guess is any imagery is culled by marketing from whatever pop-culture/political references influence the people involved, plus what they're told the studio wants.

The poster hints at the Cataclysm/No Man's Land story arc--and maybe a side of Frank Miller.

Ooh trailer action here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaIR9dAZRR0

Lots of things blow up--and I won't reveal who the villain(s) are in case people don't want spoilers. But its well within Batman mythos.

Posted 15 years ago #
  5. NicholasLevis

Are you joking? Joker and Two-Face. Duh. ;)

Re the poster: Yes, no doubt about it.

How much longer does the Decade of Superhero Movies last? It's a reflection of the individual's powerlessness in our age. I hope "The Watchmen," the ultimate deconstruction of superheroes and one of the two greatest superhero comics ever, kills it - but maybe we'll have other concerns by 06.06.2009.

Posted 15 years ago #
  6. JennySparks

Are you joking? Joker and Two-Face. Duh. ;)

You are a very bad man. ;-P

It's a reflection of the individual's powerlessness in our age.

That too, but more a cultural glorification of individual courage at the expense of building functional communities. I suppose its a bit of a vicious circle-- your told you should be able to do it all on your own, but it doesn't work out too good, depression follows, then escape into a power fantasy, and if you're not thinking clearly you might take the literal message to heart. Which really sounds seductive if you're feeling that individual powerlessness.

There are more layers too--the manipulation of this medium to all but neuter any empowerment that might inspire the reader in this medium.

For instance: did you know that Batman never had a problem with lethal force in the beginning?

It wasn't until the War was over and the comics code got a hold of him that he started to be an "anti killing no matter what the circumstances" ponce. Think about what that's saying culturally--don't be effective. Please god don't be effective as an individual! Yes you can defend yourself--sort of, but not with lethal force. Ever. Cause that's bad. And you're a bad person.

That's the message a kiddie gets reading that bollocks. And if it's in direct contradiction to known reality--dangerous hood, abuse, or they have a parent whose a cop-- it does a number on their heads. In real life most people who might be attacked do not have overwhelming physical strength to take everyone down non-lethally. (Yes, killing, even unarmed,is easier than capture).

Superheros started as a way of building up the mystique of personal courage in a culture at war. Once the war was over, the stories didn't go away. So they had to be controlled and re framed--don't want kiddies to get ideas that will upset the apple cart.

So Superman--never mind he's an alien and has the power to single handedly stop any genocide he wanted to--we'll make him so American his identity will neutralize actions against US interests no matter how evil. And we don't let our writers go there. Ever.

Suppose that's one of the factors that made Spiderman popular--his powers are not overwhelming and he has no hesitation to "misbehave" if it helps people. Mind, I'm sure the writers are kept on a short leash...

Posted 15 years ago #
  7. JennySparks

So anyone see it yet? Going to try sometime this week like.

Bit sad--this was Ledger's last role. :-(

Posted 15 years ago #
  8. truthmover
    Administrator

Not yet. Gunna see in on IMAX. And Ledger had just completed an indy film when he died. Don't know the name. And to add to Terry Gilliam history of bad luck, Ledger was nearly done shooting a movie with him and now Gilliam is trying to decide if the project can be saved.

Posted 15 years ago #
  9. JennySparks

Saw it today--will give a review when I have a spare mo. ;-)

Posted 15 years ago #
  10. JennySparks

The Dark Knight- review: SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

Don't click if you want to be COMPLETELY surprised:

http://coljennysparks.blogspot.com/2008/07/dark-kn...

http://truthaction.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3899&...

;-)

Posted 15 years ago #
  11. PresidentFord

Back to the poster ...

(I know, I saw it late. You'd think I lived in Hollywood or something!)

Is it me, or is this image totally not even in the movie? I remember the building scene with the hostages, etc. But I don't recall the thermite-dripping bat sign. Was I asleep? I don't remember sleeping.

Since when do movie posters use for a main image something that was not in the film?

Posted 15 years ago #

You must log in to post.