Forum

TruthMove Forum

TruthMove Forum » TruthMove Main Forum

Derrick Jensen: The Problem of Civilization & Growing the Culture of Resistance (5 posts)

1. chrisc

Part one of a two part interview on Flashpoints, http://flashpoints.net/

The Problem of Civilization and Growing the Culture of Resistance

Derrick Jensen, author, Endgame, A Language Older Than Words, Culture of Make-Believe, How Shall I Live My Life – http://www.derrickjensen.org/

We spend the entire hour with author and environmental philosopher Derrick Jensen, who talks about the collapse of industrial capitalism and peak oil economy, and what it will take for people to resist the destructive urges of civilization and replace it with a culture of resistance.

http://flashpoints.net/index.html#2008-09-15

MP3: http://aud1.kpfa.org/data/20080915-Mon1700.mp3

Posted 15 years ago #
  2. truthmod
    Administrator

Thanks for posting. I'm a big fan of Jensen and probably would have missed this otherwise.

Posted 15 years ago #
  3. emanuel

I haven't read Jensen's work, but when he spoke here in Portland he advocated blowing up hydroelectric dams. When asked about the potential loss of human life, he challenged the audience to consider the fate of other species should humanity destroy the earth. Then he said even if his own mother had to die to save the earth from mass extinction, he would still do it (meaning blow up a dam I guess). His mother was actually sitting in the audience, and she said she would give her life for such a cause. Now that's true love! (Love of your son and his ideology, that is.)

But come on folks. Jensen has not blown up any dams, himself, nor do I think any species are going to be saved by doing such a thing. His views reflect the "fallacy of reversibility" that was recently discussed on theoildrum.com. We can't just "go back" to the way of life of hunter-gatherers. We're ether going to save civilization AND the earth, or we're going to destroy both at the same time.

Emanuel

Posted 15 years ago #
  4. truthmod
    Administrator

We're ether going to save civilization AND the earth, or we're going to destroy both at the same time.

I've heard several Jensen talks and interviews and read "Endgame." I've never heard him say anything about killing average citizens...but I wouldn't be surprised. You can argue about the effectiveness of sabotage tactics and the backlash/repression that might result, but I think Jensen's main aim is simply to shake up his audience and make them face reality. He sometimes uses hyperbole and metaphor to achieve this, although I do understand that he means us to take his common "blow up a damn" suggestion literally. He does clearly mention in his book that any revolutionary change requires creative as well as destructive energy--he sees roles for artists, writers, singers, farmers, etc. I do not think he's suggesting a wanton destruction of civilization and a return to hunting and gathering for billions of people (or a kill/die-off of billions).

What I like most about Jensen is the clarity he is able express regarding the insane, immoral nature of the prevailing society. Personally I do not think this civilization and the earth can both be saved; it's one or the other. It all depends on your definition of "civilization" though. Jensen's take on "civilization" is well worth reading and pondering:

http://www.endgamethebook.org/Excerpts/1-Premises....

Here is how Jensen defines civilization in "Endgame:"

"a culture — that is, a complex of stories, institutions, and artifacts — that both leads to and emerges from the growth of cities (civilization, see civil: from civis, meaning citizen, from Latin civitatis, meaning state or city), with cities being defined — so as to distinguish them from camps, villages, and so on — as people living more or less permanently in one place in densities high enough to require the routine importation of food and other necessities of life."

Posted 15 years ago #
  5. Durruti

Hey guys,

Danse (who sometimes calls himself) Durruti here. :)

Here's a passage from a critique of primitivism:

"The evasive language Zerzan uses in his response to me is typical of the primitivist approach to the population question. And although he might throw out the red herring that "I do not know anyone who says this could happen overnight " in the original essay I actually quoted some primitivists who either saw the collapse of civilisation as a short term inevitability or who worse - like Derrick Jensen - wanted to bring it on. As I pointed out in the original article, Jensen is on record as writing "I want civilization brought down and I want it brought down now” (6). In fact since my article was published he has taken this further with a call for concrete action "We need people to take out dams, and we need people to knock out electrical infrastructures" (7). So while Zerzan may be smart enough to be evasive on this not all of his followers are (8). And while Zerzan may have forgotten Jensen he does know him - at least he was interviewed by him in 2000 (9) and the 10,000 word interview that was published which would suggest they have at least spent some hours in each others company."

And:

"This reached its logical conclusion when the magazine supported the actions and ideas of the (non-anarchist) Unabomber and published an article ("The Irrationalists") by one of the then two editors stating that "the Oklahoma bombers had the right idea. The pity was that they did not blast any more government offices . . . The Tokyo sarin cult had the right idea. The pity was that in testing the gas a year prior to the attack they gave themselves away." [Green Anarchist, no. 51, p. 11] A defence of these remarks was published in the next issue and a subsequent exchange of letters in the US-based Anarchy: A Journal of Desire Armed magazine (numbers 48 to 52) saw the other "Green Anarchist" editor (at the time) justify this sick, authoritarian nonsense as simply nonsense as simply examples of "unmediated resistance" conducted "under conditions of extreme repression." Whatever happened to the anarchist principle that means shape the ends? This means there are "limits" on tactics, as some tactics are not and can never be libertarian.

I recommend Michael Albert's debate with John Zerzan, available on Znet.

Unlike Albert and (eg) the late Murray Bookchin I think the "primitivists", including figures like Jensen and Bob Black, have a lot of wisdom to offer; the questions of "work" and "authoritarian technics" (borrowed from Lewis Mumford) are particularly important; unfortunately we are often presented with a false either/or dichotomy. All "primitivists" would be well advised to read David Noble's "A Social History of Industrial Automation" (I know, light reading ;). Relevant quotes are assembled here:

http://www.infoshop.org/faq/secD10.html

...as well as the work of Buckminster Fuller.

I chose not to interview Jensen for my upcoming film, but am glad that David Noble (no relation) agreed to an interview, as well as David Graeber and Andrej Grubachic, who wrote:

"While small-a anarchists are slowly incorporating ideas and practices learned from indigenous allies into their modes of organizing or alternative communities, the main trace in the written literature has been the emergence of a sect of Primitivists, a notoriously contentious crew who call for the complete abolition of industrial civilization, and, in some cases, even agriculture.(6.) Still, it is only a matter of time before this older, either/or logic begins to give way to something more resembling the practice of consensus-based groups."

Attacking some all-encompassing "civilization" without reference to capitalism and hierarchy in the context of its (mal) development is, frankly, ridiculous. I think Richard Heinberg has a much more sensible take:

"Obviously, we cannot turn back the clock. But we are at a point in history where we not only can, but must pick and choose among all the present and past elements of human culture to find those that are most humane and sustainable. While the new culture we will create by doing so will not likely represent simply an immediate return to wild food gathering, it could restore much of the freedom, naturalness, and spontaneity that we have traded for civilization's artifices, and it could include new versions of cultural forms with roots in humanity's remotest past. We need not slavishly imitate the past; we might, rather, be inspired by the best examples of human adaptation, past and present. Instead of "going back," we should think of this process as "getting back on track."

In any discussion of primitivism we must keep in mind civilization's "good" face--the one characterized (in Lewis Mumford's words) by the invention and keeping of the written record, the growth of visual and musical arts, the effort to widen the circle of communication and economic intercourse far beyond the range of any local community: ultimately the purpose to make available to all [people] the discoveries and inventions and creations, the works of art and thought, the values and purposes that any single group has discovered.

Civilization brings not only comforts, but also the opportunity to think the thoughts of Plato or Thoreau, to travel to distant places, and to live under the protection of a legal system that guarantees certain rights. How could we deny the worth of these things?

Naturally, we would like to have it all; we would like to preserve civilization's perceived benefits while restraining its destructiveness. But we haven't found a way to do that yet. And it is unlikely that we will while we are in denial about what we have left behind, and about the likely consequences of what we are doing now.

While I advocate taking a critical look at civilization, I am not suggesting that we are now in position to render a final judgment on it. It is entirely possible that we are standing on the threshold of a cultural transformation toward a way of life characterized by relatively higher degrees of contentment, creativity, justice, and sustainability than have been known in any human society heretofore."

Finally, I would recommend the work of Frances Moore Lappe, whom I also interviewed. Her books on world hunger pretty much demolish the idea of scarcity as source of world's ills. The "Primitivist" outlook is not only fatalist but illogical. Again, this isn't to say that primitivists have nothing to offer, only that their worldview is necessarily limited.

Posted 15 years ago #

You must log in to post.