Forum

TruthMove Forum

TruthMove Forum » TruthMove Main Forum

FBI COINTELPRO document collection (7 posts)

1. Diane

The FBI COINTELPRO Files: An Archival Collection - A Joint Project with the American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts (CLUM).

I just now discovered this on Chip Berlet's website.

Posted 15 years ago #
  2. Diane

A related page, also on Chip Berlet's site:

The Surveillance-Industrial Complex: How the American Government is Conscripting Businesses and Individuals in the Construction of a Surveillance Society by Jay Stanley, American Civil Liberties Union, August 2004.

Posted 15 years ago #
  3. emanuel

Is Berlet a left gatekeeper? I don't know much about him except his anti-"conspiracy theory" work.

Emanuel

Posted 15 years ago #
  4. truthmod
    Administrator

I think the term "left gatekeeper" has been thrown around a bit too much in our movement and it's meaning/usefulness is kind of murky. Maybe we could come up with some better ways to say what we mean.

Berlet was the guy who debated DRG on Democracy Now, I believe. His Political Research Associates supposedly studies right wing movements (conspiracies?). Perhaps Berlet's position is that the 9/11 truth movement is a right wing conspiracy to undermine the left. Looking at much of the movement, I might give this hypothesis some credence. Of course, Berlet could be a fanatic who only sees certain kinds of conspiracies, or he could very plausibly be an agent/gatekeeper for filtering sensitive information in regards to conspiracies.

http://www.publiceye.org/conspire/Post911/dubious_...

http://www.publiceye.org/about.html

Political Research Associates is a progressive think tank devoted to supporting movements that are building a more just and inclusive democratic society. We expose movements, institutions, and ideologies that undermine human rights.

Why We Focus on the Right

While attacks on civil liberties can come from any direction, the political and Christian Right use skillful marketing that exploits the public’s desire for quick solutions and capitalizes on today’s hectic information flow. With clever slogans that oversimplify complex public policy issues, the Right routinely scapegoats others in pursuit of their agenda.

PRA responds with fair and accurate analysis, looking beneath the sound-bites and slogans of the Right, exposing the true goals and agendas of specific leaders, organizations and movements. We then present our analysis in ways that can help the media, advocates and educators understand and challenge the Right

Posted 15 years ago #
  5. chrisc

Berlet ends up defending the "official story", I don't know if this is intentional or accidential, it's hard to take him seriously but there is some good material on his site.

Posted 15 years ago #
  6. mark

The left gatekeepers and the paranoid fake truthers need each other. They are a fake debate that distracts. Some of the gatekeepers are doing it innocently, just as many of the people promoting fake claims of complicity are sincere -- but the dynamic is deliberate even if most fall for it unwittingly.

Berlet went on the rampage against Mike Ruppert's "Truth and Lies of 9/11" in the winter of 2001, cleverly trying to (falsely) associate him with anti-semites and other loonies who had glommed onto 9/11 complicity themes. He's funded by Ford, too.

www.oilempire.us/berlet.html

www.oilempire.us/fake-debate.html

Posted 15 years ago #
  7. chrisc

The left gatekeepers and the paranoid fake truthers need each other. They are a fake debate that distracts. Some of the gatekeepers are doing it innocently, just as many of the people promoting fake claims of complicity are sincere -- but the dynamic is deliberate even if most fall for it unwittingly.

I agree that this is what has been and is happening. I'm totally sick of both the phony sides of this false dichotomy.

Though I'd probably call the two sides, "debunkers" and "disinfo freaks", but I don't suppose that this is much (if any) of an improvement on "left gatekeepers" and "paranoid fake truthers"... What better terms could we use to describe them?

Posted 15 years ago #

You must log in to post.