Forum

TruthMove Forum

TruthMove Forum » TruthMove Main Forum

Greece Riots, General Strike (4 posts)

1. truthmod
    Administrator

Clashes break out as strike shuts down Greece
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5...

Hey Greek forum members, what do you think of this? Many people on the Left decry riots and (property) violence, saying that it only causes more repression, but isn't it good when the government fears the power of the people to not cooperate?

Protesters attacked Athens' main courthouse with firebombs during a hearing for police officers whose shooting of a teenager set off rioting that appeared to be tapering off Wednesday even as a general strike paralyzed the country.

The strike shut down schools, public services, hospitals and flights, increasing pressure on the fragile conservative government of Prime Minister Costas Karamanlis.

The police involved in the fatal shooting were testifying behind closed doors when youths hurled Molotov cocktails at the courthouse and smashed a television satellite truck. Riot police fired tear gas. At least two people were hurt.

Riot police and youths also clashed in the city center during a demonstration by more than 10,000 people to protest the conservative government's economic policies. But outbreaks of fighting were smaller and less widespread than in previous days, an indication that the most violent nationwide unrest Greeks have seen in years may be ending.

Posted 15 years ago #
  2. truthmod
    Administrator

Fears of unrest spreading across Europe
    http://news.scotsman.com/world/Fears-of-unrest-spr...

THE unrest that has gripped Greece this week is spilling into the rest of Europe, raising concerns that it could be a trigger for opponents of globalisation, disaffected youth and others outraged by economic turmoil.

Protesters in Spain, Denmark and Italy smashed shop windows, pelted police with bottles and attacked banks this week, while in France cars were set ablaze on Thursday outside the Greek consulate in Bordeaux, where protesters warned about a looming "insurrection".

At least some of the protests were organised over the internet. One website Greek protesters use to update each other on the locations of clashes asserted there have been sympathy protests in nearly 20 countries.

Posted 15 years ago #
  3. JohnA

"...isn't it good when the government fears to power of the people to not cooperate?"

Yes and No.

It sometimes leads to draconian policy changes.

Nixon and J. Edgar Hoover would be perfect examples.

Posted 15 years ago #
  4. mark

http://rigint.blogspot.com/2006/09/secret-agent-ma...

iridescent cuttlefish said... .... It is good to know what the bad guys are up to: thanks, Jeff, for doing what you do and for presenting it in such a witty, readable manner. But there's a danger involved here as well. If we focus on the dark shenanigans in high places to the exclusion of all else (specifically, working to envision an alternative to the slideshow of "history" to which we have been passive spectators), then we become trapped in what is fundamentally their game, which we cannot win. The Democrats can't save us. Conventional means can't save us. Violent revolution will only strengthen the already entrenched powers by providing a lovely pretext for imposing martial law. And yet...there is reason to hope. If a viable alternative to the status quo can be presented alongside a succinct revelation of sufficient magnitude, then the curtain can be ripped aside and the solution can be presented simultaneously--then the necessary (that is, very widespread) change in consciousness can occur in an undeniable, undivertible fashion. Then we will be able to all say "Bullshit!" and turn our collective backs on the captivating circus. So, keep investigating, keep working on those viable alternatives: ripeness is all (and things are getting pretty rotten.)

"The tyranny of power is here. Current events tell us that those who killed Kennedy can only perpetuate their power by promoting social upheaval both at home and abroad. And that will lead not to revolution but to repression. I suggest to you, my friend, that the interests of those who killed Kennedy now transcend national boundaries and national priorities. No doubt we are dealing now with an international conspiracy. We must face that fact - and not waste any more time microanalyzing the evidence. That's exactly what they want us to do. They have kept us busy for so long. And I will bet, buddy, that is what will happen to you. They'll keep you very, very busy and, eventually, they'll wear you down. The truth was easily ascertainable. I feel that my work on the assassination is an accomplishment which required little intelligence, minimal analytic ability, and no special talents. Rather, it reflected a willingness to bear witness to the truth irrespective of the consequences. In my responsibility to adhering to the truth as I saw it, I have been and will continue to be, oblivious to all the consequences of its expression." -- Vincent Salandria, a veteran of the "JFK Truth Movement"

Posted 15 years ago #

You must log in to post.