Forum

TruthMove Forum

TruthMove Forum » TruthMove Main Forum

NZ: The beauty of hindsight - police informant caught after 10 years (2 posts)

1. chrisc

This article is amazing, it's about an activist spy who has been caught after 10 years:

About a week ago news broke in New Zealand that long time activist Rob Gilchrist had been a police informant for the last 10 years. Working for the Special Investigations Unit - an anti-terror, national security police unit - Rob had been informing on animal rights groups, environmental groups, unions, peace groups, even the Green Party.

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2008/12/416010.html

Posted 15 years ago #
  2. truthmod
    Administrator

It's time for one these damn agents in the 9/11 movement to get outed.

In the end Rob was only caught after asking his then girlfriend Rochelle Rees, a computer programmer, to fix his computer.

After checking to see if his emails had been corrupted, she found hundreds of strange emails where the sender and subject lines were all blank, being sent to the same anonymous email address. This email address was traced back to the Christchurch central police station and then the Special Investigations Group. Wanting more evidence, she then installed spyware on his phone to monitor his text messages and calls, and set a script on his computor to continue sending his emails to her. She even downloaded a years worth of phone bills and decrypted documents he had encrypted.

Giving a computer filled with sensitive information to a computer programmer seems to be a stupid thing to do. Opinion is divided as to whether it was just a case of getting too big for ones boots, or actually wanting to be exposed. But lets give Rochelle some credit here - she's pretty damn smart. Personally if I was going to knowingly expose myself I'd get rid of the photographs of my illicit affairs playing with my guns first. But who knows.

Posted 15 years ago #

You must log in to post.