Forum

TruthMove Forum

TruthMove Forum » TruthMove Main Forum

Fans of Derrick Jensen will like this lecture and book (7 posts)

1. christs4sale
    Administrator

I think that I actually like her as a lecturer better than Jensen, but the topics they cover are very similar.

The authors site is: www.lierrekeith.com

The book is: The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability

Check out this lecture: http://tracker.conspiracycentral.net/download.php?...

Check out this interview: http://tracker.conspiracycentral.net/download.php?...

If you cannot download them, I will try to post the files to a public share site.

Posted 15 years ago #
  2. christs4sale
    Administrator

After listening to her radio interview, her next book is apparently co-authored with Jensen.

Posted 15 years ago #
  3. christs4sale
    Administrator

Another radio show:

http://rabble.ca/audio/download/16705/hea-2007-12-...

Posted 15 years ago #
  4. emanuel

I read the first 14 pages of her book, posted on her website. Gotta give her credit for breaking from her ideological vegan position and deepening her awareness of food issues. I can't condemn all agriculture, however. I think this is just another ideological position.

Posted 15 years ago #
  5. christs4sale
    Administrator

She sounds a bit more moderate in the lecture or on the radio. One of my favorite concepts that she speaks of is there are no individual solutions to the collective mess that we are in.

Kevin at Cryptogon has also mentioned her:

http://cryptogon.com/?p=8388

Posted 15 years ago #
  6. truthmod
    Administrator

Kevin at Cryptogon also advocates an individual solution--dropping out of the economy, learning to live on a tiny amount of money, growing your own food, etc.

While from certain angles, her arguments are definitely valid, I fear that this kind of thinking (on the surface) can be used by lazy people as an excuse not to do or sacrifice anything.

Yes, permaculture farming, including the raising of animals for food, would be ideal, but that is not the system we have right now. And organically, compassionately raised meat is usually out of most people's budget.

I cut down my meat intake to almost nothing about two years ago. I still eat it sometimes if someone else cooks it and offers it to me, or if it is going to go waste. I do eat seafood regularly as well as plenty of dairy products. And I feel as healthy as ever. I did this, in large part, because of statistics like those below. If I've been hoodwinked, someone please explain how.

http://www.goveg.com/environment-wastedResources-w...

Between watering the crops that farmed animals eat, providing drinking water for billions of animals each year, and cleaning away the filth in factory farms, transport trucks, and slaughterhouses, the farmed animal industry places a serious strain on our water supply. Nearly half of all the water used in the United States goes to raising animals for food.22

It takes 5,000 gallons of water to produce 1 pound of meat, while growing 1 pound of wheat only requires 25 gallons.23 A totally vegetarian diet requires only 300 gallons of water per day, while a meat-eating diet requires more than 4,000 gallons of water per day.24,25 You save more water by not eating a pound of beef than you do by not showering for an entire year.26

While millions of people across the globe are faced with droughts and water shortages, much of the world's water supply is quietly being diverted to animal agriculture. As the Western diet spreads to the rest of the world, even desert nations in Africa and the Middle East are pouring what little water they have into meat production.

It is clear that raising animals for food puts a tremendous strain on our already limited water supply, and water is used much more efficiently when it goes toward producing crops for human consumption.

Posted 15 years ago #
  7. christs4sale
    Administrator

Kevin at Cryptogon also advocates an individual solution--dropping out of the economy, learning to live on a tiny amount of money, growing your own food, etc.

While from certain angles, her arguments are definitely valid, I fear that this kind of thinking (on the surface) can be used by lazy people as an excuse not to do or sacrifice anything.

I think Kevin has chosen a large scale individual solution to a collective problem. It might work out for him, but it very easily could not as well. It is certainly a not a solution for large numbers of people.

Yes, permaculture farming, including the raising of animals for food, would be ideal, but that is not the system we have right now. And organically, compassionately raised meat is usually out of most people's budget.

This is completely true given the current system. I think from reading Ruppert, Heinberg, Pfeiffer and others, we can conclude that any part of our current agricultural system, from factory farming to the growing of mono-crops, is not sustainable due to its destructiveness to the environment and reliance on hydrocarbon energy. If you see a recent Scientific American article, this lack of sustainability could to be showing itself in the very near future: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=c...

Between watering the crops that farmed animals eat, providing drinking water for billions of animals each year, and cleaning away the filth in factory farms, transport trucks, and slaughterhouses, the farmed animal industry places a serious strain on our water supply. Nearly half of all the water used in the United States goes to raising animals for food.22

It takes 5,000 gallons of water to produce 1 pound of meat, while growing 1 pound of wheat only requires 25 gallons.23 A totally vegetarian diet requires only 300 gallons of water per day, while a meat-eating diet requires more than 4,000 gallons of water per day.24,25 You save more water by not eating a pound of beef than you do by not showering for an entire year.26

While millions of people across the globe are faced with droughts and water shortages, much of the world's water supply is quietly being diverted to animal agriculture. As the Western diet spreads to the rest of the world, even desert nations in Africa and the Middle East are pouring what little water they have into meat production.

It is clear that raising animals for food puts a tremendous strain on our already limited water supply, and water is used much more efficiently when it goes toward producing crops for human consumption.

The issue here is that they are comparing two things that are not sustainable and both very destructive to the environment. Instead of broadly saying meat, they should be saying factory farming.

I question how much PETA really cares about the environment with their uncritical support of soy.

Posted 15 years ago #

You must log in to post.