Forum

TruthMove Forum

TruthMove Forum » TruthMove Main Forum

WHO raises flu threat level, warning pandemic imminent (12 posts)

1. truthmod
    Administrator

I don't really like the sound of that. Not that I trust these people, but this is scary...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090429/ts_nm/us_flu_1...

The World Health Organization warned on Wednesday that a global flu pandemic was imminent, raising its threat level as the swine flu virus spread and killed the first person outside of Mexico, a toddler in Texas.

"Influenza pandemics must be taken seriously precisely because of their capacity to spread rapidly to every country in the world," WHO Director General Margaret Chan told a news conference in Geneva.

"The biggest question is this: how severe will the pandemic be, especially now at the start," Chan said, but added the world "is better prepared for an influenza pandemic than at any time in history."

Posted 15 years ago #
  2. JennySparks

Not to diminish the very real dangers influenza can have--it was devastating during the Great War--but after hearing one flu hysteria after the other, I'm a bit jaded.

The fact is the flu virus is constantly mutating. Nothing with change that. The only "defense" is heath and sanitation. That means well funded health care and no poverty. If this is a serious threat, the reason in part is global poverty and all its causes.

Posted 15 years ago #
  3. truthmod
    Administrator

Swine flu prompts Mexico to shut down economy
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090430/ts_nm/us_flu_1...

Mexican President Felipe Calderon told his people to stay home from Friday for a five-day partial shutdown of the economy, after the World Health Organization said a swine flu pandemic was imminent.

Calderon ordered government offices and private businesses not crucial to the economy to stop work to avoid further infections from the new virus, which has killed up to 176 people in Mexico and is now spreading around the world.

Posted 15 years ago #
  4. emanuel

From Mike Ruppert's newest post...

"Now I must choose my words very carefully. -- I also cannot ignore the brilliant work done by many at FTW into the very mysterious cluster of murders, suicides and accidental deaths of 14 world-class microbiologists in a very short period right after 9-11. All of them were working on viral disease projects which FTW firmly established were consistent with the pursuit of a gene-specific bioweapon (e.g. race-specific). Our stories were "picked up" by the The Toronto Star (although the editor had to write me an apology email for not citing FTW) and The New York Times wrote a 7,500-word monstrosity trying explain that all these dead scientists were really an accident. Perhaps the most famous of these bizarre deaths was that of Dr. Don Wiley in Memphis. Wiley was la creme de la creme of microbiologists and I have saved an academic abstract showing that he was specializing in swine flu and DNA recombination. Same with the very famous "suicide" (murder) of Dr. David Kelly in the UK that happened around the time the British government dug up victims of the 1918 Spanish flu to get the DNA so that an extinct disease could be brought back to life.

"I must emphasize that all this proves nothing except for the fact that the current outbreak bears watching closely. Personally, I believe that it is our job to do everything possible to prove that there is no possible biowarfare involvement here; not to mention a gene-specific one. The fastest way to rule that out is to see Caucasians falling right along with people of color. No one has yet explained why the U.S. cases have resulted in only one fatality (a 23 month-old Mexican boy) although I have heard the question asked many times on the air. "How come no one's dying in America? They have Tamiflu in Mexico."

Posted 15 years ago #
  5. JohnA

No one has yet explained why the U.S. cases have resulted in only one fatality (a 23 month-old Mexican boy) although I have heard the question asked many times on the air. "How come no one's dying in America? They have Tamiflu in Mexico."

i find this question to be oddly misleading - and perhaps a tad intellectually dishonest.

there are only 100 confirmed cases in the US.

there are thousands of confirmed cases in Mexico!!

of COURSE we are not seeing the same level of fatalities. 100 cases is not even close to being a large enough 'controlled group' for deriving scientific conclusions about the potential mortality rates should this thing grow exponentially.

additionally, the quality and availability of Mexico's healthcare system is also a factor. you have to understand - among the very poor in Mexico running to the local ER (like we do in America) is not always an option.

additionally, this illness took Mexico by surprise. even in america people do not go running to the hospital everytime they catch a seasonal bug and run a fever. do you? people started dying in Mexico before anyone even knew what was really happening.

look - i will be honest and admit that the 'timing' of this outbreak struck me as convenient for knocking certain inconvenient stories off the front pages of our newspapers.

but - having said that - it is just way too speculative to be spreading these theories when we really do not have even a shred of evidence that this outbreak was an intentional attack - and i am somewhat disturbed that the question of 'why only colored people are dying' to be an irresponsible talking point at THIS point in the outbreak. it started in Mexico. there are people of color there. duh

like Sigmond Freud once said: "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar"

Posted 15 years ago #
  6. truthmover
    Administrator

The entire hype surrounding this "epidemic" seems totally bogus to me. There are at least 30,000 flu related deaths a year in the U.S. alone, and a million globally. People should be concerned. Governments should be taking precaution. But all the rest seems like it's politically or economically profitable for someone.

Posted 15 years ago #
  7. JohnA

well - yes and no.

the World Health Organization has in fact issued a level 5 alert - so its not all just media hype. The WHO is in fact claiming a worldwide pandemic is imminent- and governments around the world are in fact reacting to the threat.

and there are some key differences this year - as compared to regular seaonal outbreaks of the flu.

In normal years, although most influenza infection is in children, the serious morbidity and mortality is almost entirely among elderly people with underlying chronic disease. that is not case here. this flu seems to be killing normal healthy people by turning their immune systems against them. that is a little more alarming and seems to mimic the 1918 model.

but - on the other hand - the fact that the WHO is ready to go to a stage 6 alert just means the illness is pandemic. it does not mean the virus itself is any more or less deadly than past viruses. it just means it spreads faster - people do not have immunity to it - so it cannot be stopped.

if this is the case it COULD be very bad - and this is not all just hysteria.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), it has been estimated that in the absence of any control measures such as vaccination and drugs, a “medium-level” influenza pandemic in the United States could kill 89,000 to 207,000 people, affect from 15 to 35 percent of the U.S. population, and generate associated costs ranging from $71 billion to $167 billion. Another Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimate suggested that, in the United States alone, up to 200 million people will be infected, 50 million people will require outpatient care, two million people will be hospitalized, and between 100,000 and 500,000 persons will die. These numbers are significantly higher than the estimates used by the Deparment of Homeland Security. The HHS notes that the death rate associated with the 1918 influenza applied to the current population would produce 1.9 million deaths in the United States and 180 million to 360 million deaths globally.

It is most noteworthy that the "Low" scenario presented by HHS corresponds to the "High" scenario presented by DHS.

but these are alarming numbers.

remember - the mortality rate of the 1918 outbreak was less than 1%. the problem arose from the high number of those infected.

it is ALSO interesting to note that the 1918 flu was very mild and almost disappeared during the summer - only to make a comeback in the fall in a more potent mutated form that killed 100 million people.

Posted 15 years ago #
  8. JennySparks

Well, a week's passed and we're not all dead yet...

John, you need to email me ASAP.

Cheers.

Posted 14 years ago #
  9. JohnA

i just emailed you at your old Yahoo.ca account

Posted 14 years ago #
  10. emanuel

Don't worry Jenny, the threat is always right around the corner. Remember this was just the sneak preview. The real killer wave comes in the Fall. :)

Emanuel

Posted 14 years ago #
  11. JennySparks

i just emailed you at your old Yahoo.ca account

That's my current email address. Even the stalkers know that.

But cheers--I'll get back to you when I'm done reviewing it.

Posted 14 years ago #
  12. truthmover
    Administrator

Tamiflu Developer: Swine Flu Could Have Come From Bio-Experiment Lab

An Australian researcher claims the swine flu, which has killed at least 64 people so far, might not be a mutation that occurred naturally but a man-made product of genetic experiments accidently leaked from a laboratory -- a theory the World Health Organization is taking very seriously.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/SwineFlu/story?id=758442...

Posted 14 years ago #

You must log in to post.