Forum

TruthMove Forum

TruthMove Forum » TruthMove Main Forum

Video of Oliver Stone during the release of JFK (5 posts)

1. christs4sale
    Administrator

This is a classic video of Stone speaking and answering his critics about JFK at the National Press Club:

http://www.c-spanarchives.org/library/index.php?ma...

Posted 14 years ago #
  2. christs4sale
    Administrator
  3. truthmod
    Administrator

Good stuff. I watched the Oliver Stone show. He's clearly passionate, well-spoken, and informed. I wonder if he just got burnt out after spending years studying the assassination and then putting so much effort into the film. It seems like he hasn't done much politically significant since.

Posted 14 years ago #
  4. mark

Perhaps he got burned out, but it's also possible that he got the message (from being aggressively attacked in the media) that if he wanted to remain a big player in Hollywood he had to stop making films like JFK.

I didn't bother seeing his "World Trade Center" film, for obvious reasons.

The scene between "X" (Fletcher Prouty) and Jim Garrison in JFK is one of the best summaries of Deep Politics in any movie.

Posted 14 years ago #
  5. christs4sale
    Administrator

I think he was derailed in some way because I remember reading in William Pepper's Act of State that Stone wanted to make a film about the MLK assassination. Here is what Pepper said in footnote 152:

Oliver Stone was interested in acquiring the rights to my story and we negotiated over a considerable period of time. Finally he set out conditions (similar to my first publisher's) which he said would make me wealthy if I would accept them.

They were: 1) that the film could depict me in any way, except using drugs; 2) they could depict my relationship to my client James Earl Ray in any way they wished; and 3) they could depict James as guilty or innocent at their discretion.

Stone's offer received the same rejection as given to Harper Collins some years earlier.

It is possible that this was Pepper's mistake, but judging by the stated conditions and how Nixon turned out, I think Pepper made the right move. To me JFK and Nixon are almost 180 degrees apart. I remember Gerald Posner discussing the possibility of this film being made by Stone on the Charlie Rose Show the day James Earl Ray died. Posner, author of the anti-government conspiracy book Killing the Dream, definitely did not want to see the film made.

Posted 14 years ago #

You must log in to post.