Forum

TruthMove Forum

TruthMove Forum » TruthMove Main Forum

Examiner: Faked moon landings, creationists, and 9-11 truthers (8 posts)

1. truthmod
    Administrator

This guy is really sure of himself.

http://www.examiner.com/x-1051-Independent-Examine...

In the course of surfing the net, or in emails I receive, I am often told the following:

The Apollo moon landings were a hoax.

Bigfoot is real.

Creationism is valid science.

The Holocaust didn't happen.

9-11 was an inside job.

In fact, spend just a little time online and you'll find entire digital societies blindly devoted to these positions. I say “blindly” because at the end of the day, not a single scrap of real evidence is ever offered to indicate the existence of a freethinking mind in their midst.

Never before in history has information been so easily accessible; we live like sorcerers who can snap their fingers and download data from the air. And perhaps that’s part of the problem: Things are too easy, and we can just as readily click on a professionally peer-reviewed site as we can the website of the Flat Earth Society. And since the media seems unwilling to give up their Circus Maximus of “liberals-and-conservatives” any time soon, no side of the political spectrum has a monopoly on being, well, idiotic.

Last year, a fellow from South Carolina tried convincing me that the WTC buildings on September 11th 2001 had been brought down by demolitionist conspirators. He sent me a link to the video Loose Change, which I watched and then explained to him how, when, and why that video has been completely discredited. It's not that I didn't think the Bush Administration was a band of lying thugs whose damage to this country would take years to recover from. It's not that I didn't think certain members of government broke out champagne in the hours following the attacks, because of the opportunities it gave them.

But if you're going to make claims that the towers weren't hit by the planes in question, or that there was controlled demolition, or that it was all a cover to steal gold from beneath the WTC site, or that reptilian aliens have mixed their blood with English royals in time to watch reruns of V: The Series, you better be prepared to provide documentation that stands up to scrutiny.

As a point of contrast, I asked my friendly emailer to respond to the many counter-points that now exist. My correspondent flatly refused to oblige. Then I ask him if he would address a few other points of interest behind the making of the Loose Change video...

Twenty seconds later, I get this reply (mispellings and all):** “You are blind, or wosre you are a zionist shill go to hell.”**

I told him I'd need to see some evidence for Hell. He didn't respond.

On the other side of politics and far and away my favorite example of American Unthinkers are the Creationist crowd. Creationists clutch their beliefs like a lost Amazon tribe’s devotion to spears. There’s almost something noble in their lack of cognition.

Evolution is taught in schools because, like it or not, it suffers from the condition of being supported by factual data. It doesn’t require belief. Belief is something that is done in absence of facts.

All they have is raw belief, couched in the glitzy wrapping paper of ignorance and dishonesty. It’s precisely the same mindset used in the Salem witch trials:

“I had a dream that my neighbor turned into a black cat.”

“Do you have any proof?”

“Dude, that IS the proof. Spectral evidence, remember?”

“Oh right, sorry. Hang her.”

The problem with Unthinkers is that they believe things blindly, and so they think that everyone else does. Rational thinking requires a rational process. It’s not about being narrow-minded – in fact, it’s about being open to possibilities… while applying the test of evidence and method to those possibilities.

Does Bigfoot exist? Maybe… but I’ll need more evidence than blurry photos of Chewbacca to convince me.

Americans face very serious issues today – questions on terrorism, war, economics, the environment. And things are about to get a whole lot more complicated: the horizon is filling with debates over cloning, genetic engineering, and ever-more-invasive spyware technologies.

If we can’t address today’s problems with a clear-thinking honesty, how do we face the problems of tomorrow?

Posted 14 years ago #
  2. Arcterus

The sad truth is that you can't really blame him with all the crap spewed out among so many truthers.

On a side note, V was an awesome show.

Posted 14 years ago #
  3. truthmover
    Administrator

The sad truth is that you can't really blame him with all the crap spewed out among so many truthers.

On a side note, V was an awesome show.

You can blame him if he wants to be called a journalist. I certainly don't blame the general public subject to this kind of crap and all the crap we add to it. They have been misinformed and aren't committed to representing the truth. Journalists are.

And yeah, V was a lot of fun.

Posted 14 years ago #
  4. Arcterus

Yeah, but I wouldn't consider The Examiner real "journalism". It's just a collaboration of editorials.

Posted 14 years ago #
  5. JohnA

The article is so weak i hardly think it deserve a response.

Posted 14 years ago #
  6. thevillage

The moon landings are pretty much impossible to believe from every angle. Especially when you actually look at the LEM. Pics of it at the Smithsonian. Take a close up look at it and see if you believe it went to the moon -- landed and returned.

Posted 10 years ago #
  7. mark

The moon landing never happened is one of the dumber hoaxes floating in the disinformation realm -- the idea that NASA altered all of the world's telescopes so astronomers would see the landing sites that never happened suggests a leap of logic beyond my understanding. That alone debunks this BS.

examiner is not a newspaper, it is a bulletin board where anyone can post any nonsense that they want if they sign up for an account. It's on my "do not click" list (since more clicks give them more advertising revenue). It makes the mainstream media look intelligent in comparison.

Posted 10 years ago #
  8. truthmod
    Administrator

This thread is 3 years old. thevillage has dug it up along with a few other ancient threads. We don't see much potential for productive conversation to be had on this topic. If this thread gets contentious or pointless, we will lock or delete it.

History shows that debate on this topic seems to be good only for wasting people's time, energy, and patience.

Posted 10 years ago #

You must log in to post.