Forum

TruthMove Forum

TruthMove Forum » TruthMove Main Forum

The Web Shatters Focus, Rewires Brains (4 posts)

1. truthmod
    Administrator

I recommend reading the entire article...

I think we had a similar story/thread in the past, but I couldn't find it. This issue is of critical importance. Imagine trying to explain the dynamics of deep politics, the environmental crisis, or the subtleties of our own to psychology to the Twitter/Facebook generation. The outlook is not good.

This stuff definitely affects me. I'm often distracted online and jump from one idea or task to another. Staying focused can seem like a chore. Like most people, I can find myself clicking, reloading, and reading the most insignificant crap, almost unconsciously.

I'm glad that I can remember a time when having a computer was something kind of nerdy and special. I did my first papers on an electric typewriter/word processor. We didn't have cell phones and nobody had ever heard of the web. But people 10 years younger probably barely remember anything before the web.

Marshall McLuhan talks about how new media technologies can overpower us unless we remain independent and consciously use them for our benefit. It's true, and we may be headed for some Terminator style showdown unless this whole Collapse thing happens pretty soon.

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/05/ff_nicholas_...

Back in the 1980s, when schools began investing heavily in computers, there was much enthusiasm about the apparent advantages of digital documents over paper ones. Many educators were convinced that introducing hyperlinks into text displayed on monitors would be a boon to learning. Hypertext would strengthen critical thinking, the argument went, by enabling students to switch easily between different viewpoints. Freed from the lockstep reading demanded by printed pages, readers would make all sorts of new intellectual connections between diverse works. The hyperlink would be a technology of liberation.

By the end of the decade, the enthusiasm was turning to skepticism. Research was painting a fuller, very different picture of the cognitive effects of hypertext. Navigating linked documents, it turned out, entails a lot of mental calisthenics—evaluating hyperlinks, deciding whether to click, adjusting to different formats—that are extraneous to the process of reading. Because it disrupts concentration, such activity weakens comprehension. A 1989 study showed that readers tended just to click around aimlessly when reading something that included hypertext links to other selected pieces of information. A 1990 experiment revealed that some “could not remember what they had and had not read.”

There’s nothing wrong with absorbing information quickly and in bits and pieces. We’ve always skimmed newspapers more than we’ve read them, and we routinely run our eyes over books and magazines to get the gist of a piece of writing and decide whether it warrants more thorough reading. The ability to scan and browse is as important as the ability to read deeply and think attentively. The problem is that skimming is becoming our dominant mode of thought. Once a means to an end, a way to identify information for further study, it’s becoming an end in itself—our preferred method of both learning and analysis. Dazzled by the Net’s treasures, we are blind to the damage we may be doing to our intellectual lives and even our culture.

What we’re experiencing is, in a metaphorical sense, a reversal of the early trajectory of civilization: We are evolving from cultivators of personal knowledge into hunters and gatherers in the electronic data forest. In the process, we seem fated to sacrifice much of what makes our minds so interesting.

Posted 13 years ago #
  2. nornnxx65

i couldn't read the whole thing, the hyperlinks were too distracting- actually i did read the whole thing, and mostly ignored the hyperlinks- i moused over one to see what the source was.

Fascinating stuff. Certainly, some of the impacts are negative, but it's not all bad- for instance:

One much-cited study of videogaming, published in Nature in 2003, revealed that after just 10 days of playing action games on computers, a group of young people had significantly boosted the speed with which they could shift their visual focus between various images and tasks.

It’s likely that Web browsing also strengthens brain functions related to fast-paced problem-solving, particularly when it requires spotting patterns in a welter of data. A British study of the way women search for medical information online indicated that an experienced Internet user can, at least in some cases, assess the trustworthiness and probable value of a Web page in a matter of seconds. The more we practice surfing and scanning, the more adept our brain becomes at those tasks. (Other academics, like Clay Shirky, maintain that the Web provides us with a valuable outlet for a growing “cognitive surplus”; see Cognitive Surplus: The Great Spare-Time Revolution

I wouldn't count on a collapse; the development of new technologies, and the rate at which they become widely adopted and cheap, has been increasing exponentially throughout human history- wars and depressions amount to minor blips in a general trend. If solar alone continues on the same trend of increasing efficiency and decreasing cost that it's been on historically, by the end of this decade it will be competitive with dirty energies like coal, oil and nuclear, and by the end of the 2020's will be able to supply the energy needs of the entire world- and that's just one renewable energy resource. In addition to the others, R&D is being done in harvesting surplus energy- from people walking, excess heat from autos/buildings, and there was a story in the NY times today about a co. making electricity from a car's shock absorbers, improving efficiency 1-6%.

If the trillions of tax $ that are being funneled into the MIC and blown up in wars for resources and hegemony were instead invested in developing alternative energy resources and increasing justice we'd get there a lot sooner. The human brain won't physically evolve, and I'm skeptical the human race will wise up, but machines are rapidly getting smarter, even as evolving technology is altering our brain structure. Unless there is a collapse and civilization is set back centuries or millennia, this evolution is likely to continue at an ever more rapid pace, further overloading us with info and connections, and forcing us to adapt- something humans have long been good at. And developing technology to help us adapt will be part of whatever perfect or imperfect solution is arrived at to deal with the increasing pace and complexity of tech evolution.

Posted 13 years ago #
  3. nornnxx65

NYT reports on this phenom:

YOUR BRAIN ON COMPUTERS: Hooked on Gadgets, and Paying a Mental Price http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/07/technology/07bra...

Posted 13 years ago #
  4. nornnxx65

More commentary on this phenom, plus tips for dealing w/ the info overload

How to Manage Your News Consumption in the Real-Time Web Era http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/how_to_manage...

I'd forgotten I read a book by Carr called "The Big Switch", about how in the beginning of electricity businesses and rich people had their own generators and electricity was expensive, but an associate of Edison's got the bright idea of laying wire and providing it as a utility, and eventually that model became the standard, connecting the entire society, lowering costs and increasing reliability.

The point is the same thing is happening w/ data and services moving online, into "the cloud." The main problems have to do with concerns over control of data and security, but many small and an increasing number of big businesses are making the move. Google, as with so many other info tech ventures, is one of the big players.

Google's network of server farms is essentially the world's largest computer, and google is apparently working on AI- he quotes the founders as saying the main purpose of books.google.com is to provide a database for this AI- google's access to massive amounts of written text in multiple languages is why translate.google is already better than most translators and is rapidly improving.

It's disturbing that one corporation, and a corporation which sometimes acts contrary to morality and the public interest, is wielding so much power, and rapidly acquiring more.

Posted 13 years ago #

You must log in to post.