Forum

TruthMove Forum

TruthMove Forum » TruthMove Main Forum

NYT/WaPo reporting on Karzai-Corruption-CIA (1 post)

1. nornnxx65

Karzai Aide in Corruption Inquiry Is Tied to C.I.A. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/26/world/asia/26kab...

CIA making secret payments to members of Karzai administration http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/artic...

Now and then there's a story in the MSM based on anonymous insider sources and the administration in office makes a public show of condemning/investigating/prosecuting the leaker; Wikileaks Afghan War Diaries, Risen warrantless spying, Plame leak, etc. Then there's other stories based on anonymous insider sources where there's no condemnation or announcement of investigation; so far, this is the case with this NYT story, followed a day later by the WaPo, which cites their own "US officials" in addition to referring to the NYT reporting.

WaPo

Paul Gimigliano, a CIA spokesman, disputed that characterization, saying, "This anonymous source appears driven by ignorance, malice or both,"

NYT

“The C.I.A. works hard to advance the full range of U.S. policy objectives in Afghanistan,” said Paul Gimigliano, a spokesman for the agency. “Reckless allegations from anonymous sources don’t change that reality in the slightest.”

My point is, this isn't a condemnation of someone leaking sensitive info- and it's pretty obvious it's not a denial of the claims, either, from an agency that has no problem lying even to Congress- and there's been no word from the Obama administration condemning this jeopardization of 'national security' and US relations w/ Karzai.

This makes me think this may be one of those approved 'leaks' which are done to advance an agenda. The NYT and WaPo have long been outlets for Establishment propaganda, and have worked to spin and cover up stories that threaten the Establishment, and it may be the case here. This isn't just one person that talked to the NYT and WaPo, though it may be the same people in both cases; mighty coincidental there would be back to back stories. The NYT cites "Afghan and American officials" and the WaPo cites "current and former U.S. officials."

What is your assessment of this news?

And if you suspect this was an approved leak, what's the agenda? To undermine, pressure and embarrass Karzai, something else, what?

Posted 13 years ago #

You must log in to post.