Forum

TruthMove Forum

TruthMove Forum » TruthMove Main Forum

September 20 in New York - 51st anniversary of JFK disarmament speech at UN (13 posts)

1. mark

September 20, 2014 is the 51st anniversary of President Kennedy calling off the nuclear arms race and for converting the Moon race to a global cooperative effort at the United Nations (Sept. 20, 1963).

What would the world be today if the trillions of dollars, scientific talent and physical resources invested in endless warfare had been shifted toward peaceful purposes? We might have been more proactive on the ecological overshoot issues if the military industrial complex had not overthrown the elected government two months after this speech.

www.jfkmoon.org/un.html has the full text and audio (half hour). I am grateful that President Kennedy stood up to the Generals and the "Intelligence" agencies and refused to launch a nuclear war in October 1962, it's likely none of us would be here if he had taken their advice. A primary reference for this hidden history is from peace activist James Douglass whose book "JFK and the Unspeakable: Why he died and why it matters" is the best book of US history it has been my pleasure to read. A few reviews are at www.jfkmoon.org/unspeakable.html - including the recommendation from Robert Kennedy Jr that every American should read the book. If we're going to shift course as a civilization toward cooperative survival we would need to understand the wrong turns we made.

www.jfkmoon.org/american-university.html has the June 10, 1963 JFK speech at American University calling for a shift away from the Cold War, it's a little better known than the UN speech. Krushchev was so impressed with it that he had it printed in the Soviet media, but the US media wasn't so inclined to promote it. Both speeches are of primary importance for understanding what happened to our country and the wrong turn we took.

Mark Robinowitz

Address to the General Assembly of the United Nations - President John F. Kennedy New York - September 20th 1963 [excerpts]

.... Today the clouds have lifted a little so that new rays of hope can break through. The pressures on West Berlin appear to be temporarily eased. Political unity in the Congo has been largely restored. A neutral coalition in Laos, while still in difficulty, is at least in being. The integrity of the United Nations Secretariat has been reaffirmed. A United Nations Decade of Development is under way. And, for the first time in 17 years of effort, a specific step has been taken to limit the nuclear arms race. I refer, of course, to the treaty to ban nuclear tests in the atmosphere, outer space, and under water--concluded by the Soviet Union, the United Kingdom, and the United States--and already signed by nearly 100 countries. It has been hailed by people the world over who are thankful to be free from the fears of nuclear fallout, and I am confident that on next Tuesday at 10:30 o'clock in the morning it will receive the overwhelming endorsement of the Senate of the United States. The world has not escaped from the darkness. The long shadows of conflict and crisis envelop us still. But we meet today in an atmosphere of rising hope, and at a moment of comparative calm. My presence here today is not a sign of crisis, but of confidence. I am not here to report on a new threat to the peace or new signs of war. I have come to salute the United Nations and to show the support of the American people for your daily deliberations. For the value of this body's work is not dependent on the existence of emergencies--nor can the winning of peace consist only of dramatic victories. Peace is a daily, a weekly, a monthly process, gradually changing opinions, slowly eroding old barriers, quietly building new structures. And however undramatic the pursuit of peace, that pursuit must go on. Today we may have reached a pause in the cold war--but that is not a lasting peace. A test ban treaty is a milestone--but it is not the millennium. We have not been released from our obligations--we have been given an opportunity. And if we fail to make the most of this moment and this momentum--if we convert our new-found hopes and understandings into new walls and weapons of hostility--if this pause in the cold war merely leads to its renewal and not to its end--then the indictment of posterity will rightly point its finger at us all. But if we can stretch this pause into a period of cooperation--if both sides can now gain new confidence and experience in concrete collaborations for peace--if we can now be as bold and farsighted in the control of deadly weapons as we have been in their creation--then surely this first small step can be the start of a long and fruitful journey. ....

Finally, in a field where the United States and the Soviet Union have a special capacity--in the field of space--there is room for new cooperation, for further joint efforts in the regulation and exploration of space. I include among these possibilities a joint expedition to the moon. Space offers no problems of sovereignty; by resolution of this Assembly, the members of the United Nations have foresworn any claim to territorial rights in outer space or on celestial bodies, and declared that international law and the United Nations Charter will apply. Why, therefore, should man's first flight to the moon be a matter of national competition? Why should the United States and the Soviet Union, in preparing for such expeditions, become involved in immense duplications of research, construction, and expenditure? Surely we should explore whether the scientists and astronauts of our two countries--indeed of all the world--cannot work together in the conquest of space, sending someday in this decade to the moon not the representatives of a single nation, but the representatives of all of our countries. ....

The effort to improve the conditions of man, however, is not a task for the few. It is the task of all nations--acting alone, acting in groups, acting in the United Nations, for plague and pestilence, and plunder and pollution, the hazards of nature, and the hunger of children are the foes of every nation. The earth, the sea, and the air are the concern of every nation. And science, technology, and education can be the ally of every nation. Never before has man had such capacity to control his own environment, to end thirst and hunger, to conquer poverty and disease, to banish illiteracy and massive human misery. We have the power to make this the best generation of mankind in the history of the world--or to make it the last. ....

But peace does not rest in charters and covenants alone. It lies in the hearts and minds of all people. And if it is cast out there, then no act, no pact, no treaty, no organization can hope to preserve it without the support and the wholehearted commitment of all people. So let us not rest all our hopes on parchment and on paper; let us strive to build peace, a desire for peace, a willingness to work for peace, in the hearts and minds of all our people. I believe that we can. I believe the problems of human destiny are not beyond the reach of human beings. Two years ago I told this body that the United States had proposed, and was willing to sign, a limited test ban treaty. Today that treaty has been signed. It will not put an end to war. It will not remove basic conflicts. It will not secure freedom for all. But it can be a lever, and Archimedes, in explaining the principles of the lever, was said to have declared to his friends: "Give me a place where I can stand--and I shall move the world." My fellow inhabitants of this planet: Let us take our stand here in this Assembly of nations. And let us see if we, in our own time, can move the world to a just and lasting peace.

-- President John F. Kennedy, September 20, 1963 speech to the UN calling for an end to the Cold War and converting the Moon Race into an international cooperative effort, two months and two days before he was removed from office.

the speech was immediately after the signing of the Limited Test Ban Treaty, the first agreement between the United States and Soviet Union to start scaling back the arms race. www.jfkmoon.org/test-ban.html

JFK waged a successful political effort to get it ratified, including speaking in Utah (downwind of the test site). No President before or since has had similar advocacy for nuclear arms control or disarmament. The Cuban Missile Crisis scared Kennedy and Krushchev to the point they cooperated in scaling back the arms race, although that didn't last after they were removed from office.

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. BrianG

I wish more people knew about this. I only found out last fall that JFK had proposed making the moon shot a joint USSR/USA venture and that he had proposed outlawing military institutions.

Posted 9 years ago #
  3. mark

The joint Moon mission was mentioned in Oliver Stone's JFK movie, but there was a lot of material to take in.

I'm unaware of any Kennedy proposal to "outlaw military institutions."

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. truthmod
    Administrator

There is a new mainstream documentary about how JFK's moves toward peace alienated him and made lots of enemies. http://apresidentbetrayed.stta.us/

Posted 9 years ago #
  5. mark

I saw "A President Betrayed" last winter - it is excellent. It doesn't touch the assassination but it shows part of the motive for his removal from office.

Posted 9 years ago #
  6. BrianG

Hi Mark,

My understanding was that President Kennedy proposed to outlaw all military air forces, navies, and armies capable of waging warfare, leaving only forces sufficient to provide for internal security.

That's what I meant by "outlawing military institutions".

Posted 9 years ago #
  7. BrianG

I'm disappointed that there's no further commentary here on JFK this anniversary. I saw "A President Betrayed" last night with about 20 other viewers. Though it credibly presented JFK's timetable for withdrawal from VietNam and his resistance to the demands by the entrenched military for war, I was disappointed that it did not mention Northwoods or the proposal for USSR/USA joint moon landing, or the proposal to outlaw military armies, navies, and air forces.

I hope y'all can mobilize yourselves to advocate for truth in connection with the upcoming anniversaries of MLK's Riverside speech in 2017 and the assassinations of MLK and RFK in 2018. The opportunity of the 50th anniversary of JFK's assassination was IMHO completely botched.

If we allow the so-called "liberal media" to interpret 1968 for us, we are lost.

Posted 9 years ago #
  8. mark

The film "President Betrayed" could have been 10 or 100 times as long to cover everything. There was also no mention of JFK's policies in Africa, Indonesia or the Arab countries, nor the many coups and war escalations that happened as a result of November 22.

A good summary of these other points is Jim DiEugenio's presentation to the "AARC" conference in September (two months ago):

www.jfkmoon.org/audio/dieugenio20140927.mp3

his www.ctka.net website is highly recommended

also:

www.jfkmoon.org/vietnam.html

I long ago gave up expectations for the media.

Posted 9 years ago #
  9. truthmod
    Administrator

I went to Dallas for the 51st anniversary. I had never really experienced the JFK "truth movement" in person before. I was surprised how similarly off-putting much of it was. There was a circus-like atmosphere at Dealey Plaza and Robert Groden was there sitting next to some lady dressed up as Jackie Kennedy on 11/22/63. They were selling DVDs and books on a little table and had a big poster with frames from the Zapruder film. There was a man with a microphone who would address the crowd periodically.

I also stopped by the JFK Lancer conference for a little bit. It was more toned down but I wasn't sure about the credibility of all the speakers I was hearing. There was another conference going on that I didn't get to.

http://jfklancer.com/Dallas2014/speakers.html
    http://jfkconference.com/?page_id=14

The Sixth Floor Museum is pretty impressive. I was imagining some hole in the wall operation, but it is clearly well-funded and probably one of the top tourist attractions in Dallas. They claim that their mission is to be "impartial" but you do get an official story bias. I didn't see any conspiracy books in their gift shop. I did see all the main official story books, including John McAdams' "JFK Assassination Logic: How to Think about Claims of Conspiracy."

It is sad, but I was reminded of how the 9/11 movement became something that I didn't want to be associated with. The fact is that we are a marginal community (conspiracy researchers and activists) full of fringe people, some of whom don't have a grip on reality. Along with the disinformation agents, this serves to repel the average person from becoming part of our community. The lack of taste and organization of the activist wings of the movement are what turns most people off.

Posted 9 years ago #
  10. mark

I'm glad I went to the 46th and 50th anniversaries in Dallas but don't mind I missed the circus this year.

I did go to the museum for the 46th,, mostly to look out the windows. I appreciated that the museum thanked the Central intelligence Agency for helping with the exhibits (among other assistants).

I went to the COPA conference each time, an event that might not happen again since John Judge has died. (It was nice he lived to the 50th and got some respectful media coverage for his work.) I haven't been to a Lancer conference. I'm glad Jim DiEugenio was their keynote speaker, he's among the very best JFK researchers and one of the few who dares to separate real evidence from nonsense. There were other speakers I am less supportive of, to be polite.

from Bill Hicks:

Kennedy, I love talking about the Kennedy assassination because to me it's a great example of, er, a totalitarian government's ability to, you know, manage information and thus keep us in the dark any way they... Oh sorry wrong meeting... Ah shit. That's the meeting we're having tomorrow at the docks. [winks] I love talking about Kennedy. I was just down in Dallas, Texas. You know you can go down there and, er, to Dealey Plaza where Kennedy was assassinated. And you can actually go to the sixth floor of the Schoolbook Depository. It's a museum called... 'The Assassination Museum'. I think they named that after the assassination. I can't be too sure of the chronology here but... Anyway they have the window set up to look exactly like it did on that day. And it's really accurate, you know, cos Oswald's not in it. "Yeah, yeh so wow that's cool." Painstaking accuracy, you know. It's true, it's called the 'Sniper's Nest'. It's glassed in, it's got the boxes sitting there. You can't actually get to the window as such but the reason they did that of course, they didn't want thousands of American tourists getting there each year going [Mimes looking out of window] "No fucking way! I can't even see the road. Shit they're lying to us. Fuck! Where are they? There's no fucking way. Not unless Oswald was hanging by his toes, upside down from the ledge. Either that or some pigeons grabbed onto him, flew him over the motorcade... Surely someone would have seen that. You know there was rumours of anti-Castro pigeons seen drinking in bars... Someone overhead them saying 'coup, coup' Coo. Unbelievable. And you know what's wild, people's, er, attitudes in the States about it. Talking about Kennedy, people come up to me: "Bill, quit talking about Kennedy, man. Let it go. It's a long time ago - just forget about it." And I'm like alright, then don't bring up Jesus to me. As long as we're talking shelf life here. "Bill, you know Jesus died for you." Yeah, well it was a long time ago. Forget about it! How about this. Get Pilate to release the fucking files. Quit washing your hands Pilate - release the goddam files. Who else was on that grassy Golgotha that day? "Bill, it was just, you know, hur, taking over of democracy by a totalitarian government, let it go."

Posted 9 years ago #
  11. mark

I looked at the JFK conference website. Mr. Fetzer is part of this, there is no need to say more after noting that.

There's a couple of real speakers, notably Dr. Wecht, he was scheduled to speak via video conference.

The best thing I saw on their schedule is it was not actually in Dallas and was far from their downtown, which probably kept attendance to a minimum.

"jfkconference" also promotes the alleged girlfriend of Lee Harvey Oswald, has a "ufo conference" as a promoter, and others who just reinforce the sentiments that you noted about the Dealey Plaza spectacle (but worse and more concentrated).

Posted 9 years ago #
  12. truthmod
    Administrator

A few people at the JFK Lancer conference mentioned David Talbot's upcoming book on Allen Dulles as something exciting on the horizon. I hadn't come across him before and I was surprised to hear that the founder of Salon.com was solidly in the conspiracy camp. I guess this is how the media has treated him (if they've covered him at all):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLWgXtQSJqM

Here's Talbot's list of top JFK books:

http://jfkfacts.org/assassination/review/david-tal...

There was a very successful documentary about Bill Hicks a few years ago. Too bad they chose not to include anything like your quote above.

Posted 9 years ago #
  13. mark

Talbot's book "Brothers" on RFK is very good.

I saw the Bill Hicks film and was not surprised they ignored his political views. Sex, drugs and rock n' roll is more acceptable than deep politics.

Posted 9 years ago #

You must log in to post.