Forum

TruthMove Forum

TruthMove Forum » TruthMove Main Forum

Chris Hedges: Trump Will Crush Dissent With Even Greater Violence and Savagery (8 posts)

1. truthmod
    Administrator
  2. truthmod
    Administrator

I saw Chris Hedges speak in Berkeley a few weeks ago. He said a lot of this stuff then too. This will be hard for many mainstream liberals to swallow:

It’s Worse Than You Think
    http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/its_worse_than...

Widespread social unrest will ignite when Donald Trump’s base realizes it has been betrayed. I do not know when this will happen. But that it will happen is certain. Investments in the stocks of the war industry, internal security and the prison-industrial complex have skyrocketed since Trump won the presidency. There is a lot of money to be made from a militarized police state.

READ: Revenge of the ‘Deplorables’

Our capitalist democracy ceased to function more than two decades ago. We underwent a corporate coup carried out by the Democratic and Republican parties. There are no institutions left that can authentically be called democratic. Trump and Hillary Clinton in a functioning democracy would have never been presidential nominees. The long and ruthless corporate assault on the working class, the legal system, electoral politics, the mass media, social services, the ecosystem, education and civil liberties in the name of neoliberalism has disemboweled the country. It has left the nation a decayed wreck. We celebrate ignorance. We have replaced political discourse, news, culture and intellectual inquiry with celebrity worship and spectacle.

Advertisement

Posted 7 years ago #
  3. mark

I'd date the coup to November 22, 1963, something Hedges does not dare discuss.

Posted 7 years ago #
  4. truthmod
    Administrator

Very true, Mark. The talk he gave was to support his new book (conversations with David Talbot" called "Unspeakable: On the Most Forbidden Topics in America." I thought there might actually be some discussion of JFK, 9/11, etc., but there was nothing. David Talbot tried to bring up 9/11 questions at one point and Hedges deflected the question.

I still think Hedges is a valuable voice. He may have made a calculation that the marginalization he would experience from discussing conspiracy issues wouldn't be worth it. What he does say is already shocking enough for mainstream liberals.

Yes, we must face the truth, but we do have to reach people where they can still engage in the discourse, rather than completely shutting off.

Posted 7 years ago #
  5. mark

Hedges is already relatively marginalized. The self-censorship isn't effective at positive transformation. The brilliance of "JFK and the Unspeakable" is that it is focused on the motives for JFK's removal from office, his policies, not obsessive microanalysis of the ballistics.

Election fraud through suppression of minority voters and faith based voting machines is also ridiculed as "conspiracy theory."

"The remnants of American liberalism are in a state of denial. They continue to treat the offensive against democratic rights as an aberration or misunderstanding. They seek to obscure from the American people the fact that a fundamental shift has taken place in the direction of dictatorial forms of rule." www.wsws.org/articles/2002/sep2002/demo-s11.shtml

from the book Schindler's List by Thomas Keneally, regarding the refusal of the Judenrat (Nazi installed Jewish Council) in the Krakow Ghetto to disclose to their fellow Jews their knowledge of the Belzec death camp

"It was no use bringing such tidings to the Judenrat. The Judenrat Council did not consider it civilly advisable to tell the ghetto dwellers anything about the camps. people would merely be distressed; there would be disorder in the streets, and it would not go unpunished. It was always better to let people hear wild rumors, decide they were exaggerated, fall back on hope."

www.nizkor.org/hweb/people/e/eichmann-adolf/transc...

Testimony from the Eichmann trial

Attorney General: When you came there, did you know what was the place you had arrived at?

Witness Lindwasser: No. I knew it was Treblinka, but we did not know the purpose.

Q. Had you heard about Treblinka in Warsaw?

A. We had heard about Treblinka.

Q. Did you know that Jews were being exterminated at Treblinka?

A. We did not believe it.

Q. You did not believe it. Why?

A. Why? This would, perhaps, be difficult to answer. Possibly, it is an individual matter for each person. One simply could not grasp that such a thing was possible - actual extermination. Rumours reached Warsaw that the Germans were sending people out to work. And simply, it was better to cling to this idea.

Posted 7 years ago #
  6. truthmod
    Administrator

When Fear Comes by Chris Hedges

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/when_fear_come...

Alexander Solzhenitsyn in “The Gulag Archipelago,” his profound meditation on the nature of oppression and resistance in the Soviet gulags, tells the story of a man who was among prisoners being moved in the spring of 1947. The former front-line soldier, whose name is lost to history, suddenly disarmed and killed the two guards. He announced to his fellow prisoners that they were free.

“But the prisoners were overwhelmed with horror; no one followed his lead, and they all sat down right there and waited for a new convoy,” Solzhenitsyn writes. The prisoner attempted in vain to shame them. “And then he took up the rifles (thirty-two cartridges, ‘thirty one for them!’) and left alone. He killed and wounded several pursuers and with his thirty-second cartridge he shot himself. The entire Archipelago might well have collapsed if all the former front-liners had behaved as he did.”

The more despotic a regime becomes, the more it creates a climate of fear that transforms into terror. At the same time, it invests tremendous energy and resources in censorship and propaganda to maintain the fiction of the just and free state.

Poor people of color know intimately how these twin mechanisms of fear and false hope function as effective forms of social control in the internal colonies of the United States. They have also grasped, as the rest of us soon will, the fiction of American democracy.

Posted 7 years ago #
  7. truthmod
    Administrator

Jon Gold Talks To Chris Hedges About 9/11 - 7/1/2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtBazX6xpaM

Chris Hedges says, "I'm not sure we were lied to."

Youtube comments:

I think Chris is pragmatic enough to know that speaking out on the truth of 9-11 would mean his death in more ways than one. Personally he contributes too much to see him marginalized by championing a losing battle. Face it the people behind 9-11 are untouchable.

This is pitiful. Hedges is like a bulldog on so many important suppressed stories, and yet on 911 he runs away after 2 minutes of polite questions. 

I think Chris is pragmatic enough to know that speaking out on the truth of 9-11 would mean his death in more ways than one. Personally he contributes too much to see him marginalized by championing a losing battle. Face it the people behind 9-11 are untouchable.

Posted 7 years ago #
  8. BrianG

Reportedly Dennis Kucinich told members of the Truth movement at the Memphis media reform conference in 2007 that he understood about 9/11 but he could not raise the issue because if he did, then he would be branded as "The 9/11 Candidate".

In a campaign meeting in Palo Alto in 2008 one of our local Truthers got up and started ranting about 9/11. After they got him calmed down, Elizabeth Kucinich came and gave him a hug and allegedly whispered to him "I feel the same way."

About that time I was tabling outside the Green Festival in San Francisco (I've seen some of you there) and Amy Goodman came walking by and I handed her a very moderate 9/11 Truth flier from 911Truth.org (I think Brian Sachs was the original author, though we'd made a few minor changes) calling for new investigations. A few minutes later a guy in a Democracy Now T-shirt came by and said "We're with you, but we can't say anything yet." The following Spring when Amy spoke in Palo Alto her brother David talked about the "National Security Letters" that prohibit recipients both from talking about the fact of the letter and any subject discussed in the letter.

The ACLU says that from 2003 to 2006, 200,000 of these letters were sent. https://www.aclu.org/other/national-security-lette...

Posted 7 years ago #

You must log in to post.