Forum

TruthMove Forum

TruthMove Forum » TruthMove Main Forum

Guardian: Left-wingers believe in conspiracies too (Chemtrails) (3 posts)

1. truthmod
    Administrator

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/may/2...

Before I met Tammi, videos of far-right conspiracist radio host Alex Jones foaming at the mouth and claiming “they are spraying poisons on you” served as my prime example of what a believer in chemtrails might look like. I’d read articles that called such believers “idiots”, but I had never actually talked to one.

Tammi isn’t a caricature of a tinfoil hat-wearing conspiracist, and she’s not an idiot. Instead of crazy walls full of newspaper clippings, her house is decorated with dreamcatchers and her grandchildren’s drawings. After getting degrees in Applied Information Technology and Architectural Drafting from Capilano College in her hometown of Vancouver, she helped pioneer the “girl games” movement as a multimedia producer for game developer Purple Moon. In 2012, a biodynamic farming course at Rudolf Steiner College inspired her to quit her six-figure job as a financial controller and go back to the land.

Now, when she’s not laboring outside, she sells upcycled furniture, bakes pumpkin muffins and supplements her income with financial consulting services. She rarely discusses her beliefs unless prompted, though she occasionally reposts articles by so-called anti-vaxxers on Facebook.

She’s an example of how conspiracy theories, once a fringe obsession, have gone mainstream – and how “alternative facts” aren’t just for the right wing.

Before I left Lincoln Hills, Tammi and Rob let me interview them about their beliefs. I wanted to know how these socially progressive, educated and entrepreneurial organic farmers came to reject the authority of science – and what it would take to redirect their concerns toward real and dire environmental threats.

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. truthmod
    Administrator

Trump, ironically, may actually be on track to initiate the world’s first large-scale atmospheric spraying program – the type of planet-hacking that Tammi fears is already under way. In January, for the first time ever, a White House report submitted to Congress called for research into geoengineering. In March, climate scholars gathered in Washington to discuss cooling the planet by shooting aerosols into the stratosphere, among other potentially risky approaches.

Posted 6 years ago #
  3. truthmod
    Administrator

If Rob were to start reading the news, he’d discover that most mainstream reporting about conspiracists ranges from subtly to explicitly condescending in tone. Maybe this seemed all in good fun back when conspiracy theories appeared to hold no sway in national politics. But with our new conspiracy-theorist-in-chief, President Trump, it’s become counterproductive to laugh off the fact-averse as paranoid kooks, or to passively ignore their perspectives in hopes that science will inevitably prevail.

Research suggests that condescension and passive dismissal won’t help change minds – especially given that conspiracy theorists are more likely to meet the criteria for all types of psychological disorder, including anxiety, depression and being socially disadvantaged.

Posted 6 years ago #

You must log in to post.