Forum

TruthMove Forum

TruthMove Forum » TruthMove Main Forum

Cindy Sheehan says goodbye to the democratic party and america (4 posts)

1. truthmod
    Administrator

http://www.counterpunch.org/sheehan05282007.html

Hello, my name is Cindy Sheehan and my son Casey Sheehan was killed on April 04, 2004 in Sadr City , Baghdad , Iraq . He was killed when the Republicans still were in control of Congress. Naively, I set off on my tireless campaign calling on Congress to rescind George's authority to wage his war of terror while asking him "for what noble cause" did Casey and thousands of other have to die. Now, with Democrats in control of Congress, I have lost my optimistic naiveté and have become cynically pessimistic as I see you all caving into "Mr. 28%"

There is absolutely no sane or defensible reason for you to hand Bloody King George more money to condemn more of our brave, tired, and damaged soldiers and the people of Iraq to more death and carnage. You think giving him more money is politically expedient, but it is a moral abomination and every second the occupation of Iraq endures, you all have more blood on your hands.

Ms. Pelosi, Speaker of the House, said after George signed the new weak as a newborn baby funding authorization bill: "Now, I think the president's policy will begin to unravel." Begin to unravel? How many more of our children will have to be killed and how much more of Iraq will have to be demolished before you all think enough unraveling has occurred? How many more crimes will BushCo be allowed to commit while their poll numbers are crumbling before you all gain the political "courage" to hold them accountable. If Iraq hasn't unraveled in Ms. Pelosi's mind, what will it take? With almost 700,000 Iraqis dead and four million refugees (which the US refuses to admit) how could it get worse? Well, it is getting worse and it can get much worse thanks to your complicity.

Posted 16 years ago #
  2. truthmod
    Administrator

She's had enough

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2007/5/28/12530/...

http://cindysheehan.dailykos.com/

Our brave young men and women in Iraq have been abandoned there indefinitely by their cowardly leaders who move them around like pawns on a chessboard of destruction and the people of Iraq have been doomed to death and fates worse than death by people worried more about elections than people. However, in five, ten, or fifteen years, our troops will come limping home in another abject defeat and ten or twenty years from then, our children’s children will be seeing their loved ones die for no reason, because their grandparents also bought into this corrupt system. George Bush will never be impeached because if the Democrats dig too deeply, they may unearth a few skeletons in their own graves and the system will perpetuate itself in perpetuity.

I am going to take whatever I have left and go home. I am going to go home and be a mother to my surviving children and try to regain some of what I have lost. I will try to maintain and nurture some very positive relationships that I have found in the journey that I was forced into when Casey died and try to repair some of the ones that have fallen apart since I began this single-minded crusade to try and change a paradigm that is now, I am afraid, carved in immovable, unbendable and rigidly mendacious marble.

This is my resignation letter as the "face" of the American anti-war movement. This is not my "Checkers" moment, because I will never give up trying to help people in the world who are harmed by the empire of the good old US of A, but I am finished working in, or outside of this system. This system forcefully resists being helped and eats up the people who try to help it. I am getting out before it totally consumes me or anymore people that I love and the rest of my resources.

Good-bye America ...you are not the country that I love and I finally realized no matter how much I sacrifice, I can’t make you be that country unless you want it.

It’s up to you now.

Posted 16 years ago #
  3. Magmak1

See http://cryptogon.com/?p=798

The Education of Cindy Sheehan May 29th, 2007

Posted 16 years ago #
  4. truthmod
    Administrator

Yeah I read that

It's a compelling argument. While I wouldn't say that traditional grassroots activism is "pointless," I do agree that much more strategic and extreme measures are necessary and that many of us may be fooling ourselves rationalizing the idea we can maintain a comfortable and "normal" life while still fighting this system in a significant way. Notice that I said "many," not "all." It is also a matter of degrees.

I am admirer of the radical saboteurs who carry out concrete actions to throw a wrench in the system. The overriding moral imperative is to stop the system before it kills more life and burns more resources and leaves more barren earth all in the name of "growth"--or rather GREED. You can argue theoretically about what is more "effective," or what types of "violence" (to people or property) is justified, but I think it's best that we all reflect on our own social conditioning and natural tendencies NOT to take personal risks (even in order to affect the change that we KNOW is necessary). That is, in fact, the overriding reason that we're in this quagmire, is it not?

See Derrick Jensen, author of "Endgame" and "anarcho-primitivist" speak: http://video.google.de/videoplay?docid=86492508632...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radical_environmental...

http://cryptogon.com/?p=798

Sadly, bottom up political activists tend to figure it out the hard way.

If you know someone who’s tumbling down the rabbit hole/honey pot of political activism, I strongly suggest, Endgame Volume 1 by Derrick Jensen. Even though Jensen’s anti civilization ramblings are silly, his level of hypocrisy is unbelievable and half of the book is about psychoanalyzing his personal trauma within the context of the wider collapse, his critique of political and environmental activism is right on target.

As an analyst, I make a point of not shooting the messenger; that’s how I managed to complete both Endgame tomes. (A while ago, I accepted paid advertising for the books and was sent copies for review.) Endgame contains a lot of excellent information. I found that about 10% of of the books covered fascinating stuff that I’d never heard about. The desire to find those nuggets among the other 90% of, well, Jensen’s convoluted, dysfunctional meditations, kept me going. The more casual reader, or the reader expecting coherent and relevant support of a point or points, over roughly 1000 pages of material (both volumes), won’t stick with it.

Activists, though, should force themselves to read it, at least volume 1.

If you’re an activist—or you know an activist—who’s having “second thoughts” about allocating time, money and effort to accomplish-nothing-go-nowhere activities, Endgame is essential reading.

If you want a very short summary of the nature of political activism, here’s a section from a piece I wrote about militant piracy as a form of asymmetric warfare. ACS is short for American Corporate State:

Posted 16 years ago #

You must log in to post.