Forum

TruthMove Forum

TruthMove Forum » TruthMove Main Forum

What particularly attracts white men to these types of issues? (4 posts)

1. christs4sale
    Administrator

After being involved in the 9/11 movement for about three years now in some capacity, I have always been struck by the lack of diversity. If I attend an antiwar meeting, it always seems to me to be fairly even between men and woman and their are definitely racial minorities, but far less than the percentages of them being in New York. But when is comes to conspiracy politics, there always seems to be a very disproportionate amount of white men. Every 9/11 meeting, JFK conference or any other function I attend that focuses on conspiracy politics is made up of at least 50% to 75% white men. What is it that attracts white men particularly and not other demographics as much to this topic? I would particularly like to hear from the people in forum who are not white men. Also, just so you know, I am a white male.

I should use this as an excuse to say that my favorite political researcher of all time was female and is not known about, even amongst the 9/11 movement, nearly as much as she should be. Please check out Mae Brussell if you get the chance. At her peak, she read between 10 and 15 papers a day, about 150 periodicals a month and hundreds of books per year. She was an extremely balanced person with a great sense of humor and I think that anyone doing what we do could learn a lot from her both politically and personally.

www.maebrussell.com - run by Tim Canale in California, who does excellent archive work of her articles and about 800 radio shows. You can purchase the radio shows on a DVD set from him. I will warn you, he is an ardent TV Fakery proponent and there are limited portions of the website devoted to this. I do stand by the Mae Brussell-related stuff though. See excerps of his documentry on Mae here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-665305225...

www.newsmakingnews.com - run by Virginia McCullough in California, who does much of her own investigative work and is the possessor of Mae's files, which there are an unbelievable amount of.

Posted 16 years ago #
  2. truthmover
    Administrator

Good question

Difficult answer. We were talking earlier about White Studies. I guess they are calling it 'Whiteness Studies' now. An emerging field within the social sciences. Sounds kind of controversial, but only because the professors haven't wanted to turn the lens on themselves for so long.

The central tenet of whiteness studies (also known as "critical whiteness studies") is a reading of history and its effects on the present, inspired by postmodernism and social constructionism, in which the very concept of race is said to have been constructed by a white power structure in order to justify discrimination against nonwhites.

Major areas of research include the nature of white identity and of white privilege, the historical process by which a white racial identity was created, the relation of culture to white identity, and possible processes of social change as they affect white identity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiteness_studies

Within this field papers have been written about the propensity of different demographic groups to gravitate toward certain forms of political action. We may find that some research has been done on this subject. We need to get to a library with journals.

Posted 16 years ago #
  3. truthmod
    Administrator

In terms of the leadership of the 9/11 movement or other "conspiracy" related fields, women seem to be well represented (although it seems like they are mostly white women). However, the rank and file, the audience in these areas does seem to be overwhelmingly white male. Maybe it has something to with the encouragement/pressure in or society for males to distinguish themselves, perform, and prove themselves, along with the lopsided focus on "technical" subjects, math, science, logic that is pushed upon men.

Perhaps white males are given a sense of entitlement that is not extended to minorities or women, and this gives them some sort of confidence or cockiness to enter the alienating and risky conspiracy field.

As others have noted, women may also have more social pressure to conform or not rock the boat in our society, while men are, in some ways, encouraged to stick out and make a mark.

Posted 16 years ago #
  4. It may very well have to do with acceptance into a community, or a sense thereof. The conspiracy angle will always put into question communal dynamics. Maybe there's more skepticism in the grouping of white men, and that allows for more white men to have skepticism about group dynamic.

Posted 16 years ago #

You must log in to post.