Forum

TruthMove Forum

TruthMove Forum » TruthMove Main Forum

New 9/11 Truth Visibility Poster Campaign (4 posts)

1. truthmod
    Administrator

I think this idea deserves its own thread. This is a very concrete thing that we could accomplish fairly soon. Maybe it could be an inaugural effort towards reclaiming the movement...

Previous comments:

truthmod:

http://digitalstyledesigns.com/pages/signarchive.h... Jan Hoyer's sign campaign, which made 9/11 truth highly visible all the way back in 2004. It also made 9/11 truth feel allied to the peace movement and it made us feel less isolated and more optimistic. What happened, where did this campaign go? How come I haven't seen a protest dotted with "Stop the 9/11 Cover Up" signs since 2004? How much did this cost? Can we do it again?

jan:

My estimate is that the original sign campaign of a few thousand STOP the 9-11 COVER-UP signs cost about $600-$800, with a reasonable price granted because of the printer (911sharethetruth) having his website included in the list of three websites. Gabriel was also responsible for the listing inclusion of 911review.org, a Nico site. However, paper prices have risen since 2004, so not sure what that would translate into today. Shipping costs were an additional factor that a few helped with.

To briefly clarify, the original March 2004 9-11 sign campaign "STOP the 9-11 COVER UP" was an all volunteer team effort of the founding National 9-11 Visibility Project, and dedicated activists from KC, Seattle, SF and NYC. The second sets of signs "EXPOSE" and "ONLY 9/11 TRUTH" were produced by staff effort of 911truth.org.

What happened? Without being in NYC, I am not privy to what happened there in 2005. However, I had newly been named art director for 911truth.org and very clearly recall the period after the DC ETC event when LC aggressively entered the scene and was appointed/deemed as representatives of the 9/11 truth movement.

IMHO, this slow public appearance change occured for a complex mix of reasons that includes aggressive tactics, marketing (and design) inexperience by leaders, miscommunications and simple human constraints. Just as Nick mentions that the original NYC, excellent educational literature was phased out and replaced, the original 911 truth movement signage has been similarly slowly replaced.

One recent activism photo exemplifies what happened to the public perception of the 9/11 truth movement and previous 9/11 signage. It is my belief that the cheerful fellow holding the STOP the 9-11 COVER-UP sign is fairly typical of founding 911 truth activists. Friendly looking, non-threatening, and very approachable (similar to truthmove).

In contrast, the 9/11 TRUTH NOW sign blocks the STOP sign. Peaceful activists using the demanding NOW signs appear darker to me. No disrespect intended, but I will go out on a limb and suggest that the image of a Marine in Dress Blues at this time just might be an image that alienates some of our intended allies. http://www.digitalstyledesigns.com/images/marinesi...

<tm: Can we do it again?> A remake of the original signage campaigns would be doable if certain factors fell into place. Once a committee decided on the slogan, it would be a simple matter to design and print the signs. Funding and sign distribution would be the biggest factors that would determine success. TruthMove would seem to be in a fresh and trusted position to launch a new campaign.

Vic mentioned a major concern that I share regarding any 9/11 truth/justice/awareness proposal. At this point in history, Americans are (rightly) focused on the upcoming attack on Iran. IMO, a counterproductive backlash would occur from our biggest potential allies if a marketing campaign were not carefully crafted. That said, launching a new public image/sign campaign has vast potential to work.

(I nearly included two slogans for consideration, but it might be wiser to share through private email.)

Posted 16 years ago #
  2. jan

What do you think about following the media reform proposal by Kevin Ryan with a fund drive request that members pitch in $5, which is painless but could calculate to a significant sum to further this new public outreach campaign. At it's core, this campaign would fall under the category of becoming/reclaiming the 9/11 truth movement's identity, message and media.

If the campaign recieved assistance from allies, a change in awareness and more importantly a change in public WILL and empowerment could be powerful. I would propose that we look far outside of our usual allies for cooperative efforts (I have some ideas if there is interest). Another consideration for mass appeal and distribution might be to consider not listing any websites on the signs.

one sign idea...

JUSTICE for 9-11 STOPS US WARS

Jan

Posted 16 years ago #
  3. jan

Perhaps the most logical way to begin a new public relations initiative such as this would be to simply have this campaign begin as a city (or statewide) scaled effort in NYC. Would TruthMove be interested in managing/distributing the signs at protests and other events?

Goals could include increasing general public participation and empowerment, attracting more activists for events, and to provide a more balanced and accurate public relations image for coverage by independent media and journalists.

Many citizens know what is going on but are essentially victimized by a sense of helplessness at how they can effectively help to increase awareness (with positive association). As many have learned, holding a 9-11 sign with others can serve as an empowering first step.

(at it's core, displaying a sign is also becoming the media.)

(two donations have been promised if this draft proposal generates sufficient interest, total $55).

JH

Posted 16 years ago #
  4. truthmod
    Administrator

Would TruthMove be interested in managing/distributing the signs at protests and other events?

Yes. I, and perhaps other truthmovers would also be eager to contribute money for this project. I'm not sure when the next large protest event is (after the 29th), but maybe we could aim to get a batch of these printed by then...

Posted 16 years ago #

You must log in to post.