Forum

TruthMove Forum

TruthMove Forum » TruthMove Main Forum

Confessions of an Ex-Truther Blog (14 posts)

1. truthmod
    Administrator

This is a first. Seems like he's only focused on Controlled Demolition and Loose Change. I wonder what his response is to 9/11 PFT. Maybe this is a backlash by a reasonable person who feels deceived and manipulated.

http://extruther.blogspot.com/2007/09/letter-of-re...

My name is Mike Metzger, MikeyMetz for short, co-founder of 9/11 Truth UAlbany. I will not go on about my past accomplishments in the "truth" movement, but I invite you to check out the official site and our stuff on GoogleVideo if you're that interested in my background.

There are no facts in the 9/11 Truth Movement. Just a lot of theories, which eventually break down to "hey, we're just asking questions" if someone questions the validity of such. No structural, civil, or any engineers agree with the truthers. Yet, most of my friends will try to explain the hard physics involved in structural collapses. None of these people are engineers, physicists, or even in a scientific field, for that matter. Someone's supposed to take their word over an expert's?

Posted 16 years ago #
  2. NicholasLevis

I think this guy called me last year and told me he'd seen LC and wanted tips on organizing a group. I advised him to do real research first, gave him a reading list and told him about 911 Press for Truth. Obviously he didn't bother. Fell for one cult approach to 9/11 and then the counterscam. It's been predictable for a while that we'd get confessions of "ex-cult members."

Posted 16 years ago #
  3. JonGold

The old "I used to be a truther, now I'm reformed" routine?

Sorry but once you start down the rabbit hole, there is NO turning back.

No honest individual can look at the 9/11 Congressional Inquiry, the 9/11 Commission, the 9/11 Family Steering Committee, the 9/11 Family Steering Committee's report on the 9/11 Commission, the petition put forward to Eliot Spitzer, the "Terror Timeline", and so many other freaking things, and not know that there is something LEGITIMATELY wrong with what we were told about that day. No honest individual can not understand that 9/11 was used as a pretext for two illegal wars, and possibly a third. The loss of our civil liberties. The bankrupting of this country. The expansion of the Executive Branch to levels NEVER BEFORE SEEN. The billions upon billions of dollars made for the corporate elite. If 9/11 was not what we were told, WE NEED TO KNOW ABOUT, AND WE NEED TO KNOW ABOUT IT NOW.

There's my rant for the day. Back to "Who Is?"

Posted 16 years ago #
  4. JonGold

Oh yea, and then there's that pesky thing called a conscience. You don't do what you did, and get away with it. Not if I have anything to say about it.

Posted 16 years ago #
  5. truthmover
    Administrator

Don't buy it for a second.

Why? Because he was likely never really a truther in the first place. Most of us here haven't exactly had a fun time of this, as the whole process forces us to question our fundamental assumptions about ourselves and our society. We've all had to go through our own personal back and forth as we learned the facts, and came to realize that this changed our view of just about everything.

I went though many periods in which I wanted to believe that maybe the movement had it all wrong. But the more I read, the less capable I became at ignoring the most stunning evidence. Lots of cognitive dissonance to deal with. But in the end, I've come to a point at which, while I am still willing to be skeptical, probable cause to suspect complicity has been well established. And as Jon so aptly points out, you can buy the official story, and still acknowledge the manner in which the event has been utilized in the interest of our illegal imperial geostrategy.

While it is possible that some of these people are being honest, I would suspect that many of them are just your typical bait and switch we've seen a lot of lately.

Posted 16 years ago #
  6. Wow, exactly what is this guy talking about? what about all of the other DOZENS of citations by researchers, whistleblowers, public officials, and experts refuting the official story. This is complete nonsense.

I am personally completely convinced of CD, but even IF it was ever disproven (which is highly improbable), it would mean NOTHING to the officail story being an outright LIE.

In fact, we can prove complicity without ANY citations of that day! The before and after motive and coverup are even enough.

Posted 16 years ago #
  7. John Gold referenced the "Terror Timeline." That still has to be the best and most definitive account of the events surrounding 9/11. It is THE 9/11 Report! There is absolute certainty after reading this book, that there is complicity. I would recommend it to everyone. I had been a truther for 2 yrs before I read the book. After reading it, I was once again blown away. I am also, blown away at how much the movement does not use the most powerful non-physical evidence against these criminals.

Posted 16 years ago #
  8. borepstein

I have no idea who Mike Metzger is as an individual but I see no reason to accuse him of dishonesty right off that bat. Ours is a big movement by now and there are all types of people in it, including those who are less than very thoughtful or excessively emotional. Be that as it may, I have personally heard of hundreds of new converts and yet this is the first public announcement of someone leaving the 9/11 truth movement. If what I see is anywhere close to being the general trend I fail to detect a problem here.

Posted 16 years ago #
  9. JonGold

Borepstein, I have seen this kind of thing before within the comments section of 911Blogger.com. Do you think anyone that honestly takes a look at everything pertaining to that day could possibly come to the conclusion that, "We weren't lied to at all?" I am very leary of the claim.

There is also the "argument" that says even if it was incompetence, no one has been held accountable. Instead, people have been promoted.

If it was incompetence, we need a new investigation so we can hold those responsible, accountable, so it doesn't happen again.

If it wasn't incompetence, we need a new investigation so we can hold those responsible, accountable, so it doesn't happen again.

Either way, we need a new investigation.

Posted 16 years ago #
  10. I wouldn't say he's dishonest, just has a complete lack of critical thinking and research skills. What about all of those 'posters' apparently agreeing with him?

Posted 16 years ago #
  11. truthmover
    Administrator

Borepstein,

We didn't accuse him of being dishonest. He is being dishonest. There are no facts in the 9/11 truth movement? That's not honest. However he may, as you point out, be acting dishonestly out of anger or frustration. We tend to let people get away with less rationality when we know they are mad. But many of us take this concern quite professionally in a certain way, and often go to great lengths to sideline our feelings in the interest of accuracy, very much as a scientist or journalist might.

His specific concerns might be valid, but he has chosen to address them in an explicitly confrontational manner. That's the problem. He's providing fodder for those who attack us, and he has to know it. And that intentionality is so malicious in my eyes, that I can't image that this guy ever had that great a commitment in the first place. He's hurting a lot of people whom he used to stand with.

Posted 16 years ago #
  12. By asserting there are no facts in the movement, Metzger is using absolute denial over principle, and in doing so he shows all the motivation of somebody taking out the garbage.

Posted 16 years ago #
  13. mark

Fake Debate: No Plane or No Conspiracy? (neither is true)

http://www.oilempire.us/fake-debate.html

Posted 16 years ago #
  14. borepstein

<The old "I used to be a truther, now I'm reformed" routine?

Sorry but once you start down the rabbit hole, there is NO turning back.

No honest individual can look at the 9/11 Congressional Inquiry, the 9/11 Commission, the 9/11 Family Steering Committee, the 9/11 Family Steering Committee's report on the 9/11 Commission, the petition put forward to Eliot Spitzer, the "Terror Timeline", and so many other freaking things, and not know that there is something LEGITIMATELY wrong with what we were told about that day. No honest individual can not understand that 9/11 was used as a pretext for two illegal wars, and possibly a third. The loss of our civil liberties. The bankrupting of this country. The expansion of the Executive Branch to levels NEVER BEFORE SEEN. The billions upon billions of dollars made for the corporate elite. If 9/11 was not what we were told, WE NEED TO KNOW ABOUT, AND WE NEED TO KNOW ABOUT IT NOW.>

Jon,

Honesty is a relative term, and someone experiencing a strong emotion can honestly believe they see somethign that doesn't exist - or vice versa. Liek I said, I never caught this guy in a lie, so I have no reason to presume he is lying.

That said, given the infrequency of conversions such as his I don't even view the whole matter as significant.

Boris.

Posted 16 years ago #

You must log in to post.