Forum

TruthMove Forum

TruthMove Forum » TruthMove Main Forum

Jane Jacobs discusses paradigms. (2 posts)

1. I'm currently reading the book "Dark Age Ahead" by Jane Jacobs, and this passage came up.

Most people do not enjoy having their entire worldview discredited; it sets them uncomfortably adrift. Scientists are no exception. A paradigm tends to be so greatly cherished that, as new knowledge or evidence turns up that contradicts it or calls it into question, the paradigm is embroidered with qualifications and exceptions, along with labored pseudo-explanations--anything, no matter how intellectually disreputable or craven, to avoid losing the paradigm. If a paradigm is truly obsolete, it must finally give way, discredited by the testing of the real world. But outworn paradigms ordinarily stand staunchly until somebody within the field makes a leap of insight, imagination, and courage sufficient to dislodge the obsolete paradigm and replace it.

I've always found strange the lack of a smoking gun in the crime of 9/11. Interesting as well, trying to promote a particular fact or instance of 9/11 as a smoking gun tends to drive people mad. The real disinfo is the general public's knee-jerk discrediting every contentious 9/11 fact. Say a fact, and watch the magic of logic-free dismissiveness. Maybe the general public's response would be "uninfo"? My bet is that "uninfo" is far stronger and more tenacious than "disinfo" could ever try to be.

Posted 16 years ago #
  2. truthmod
    Administrator

Sounds like a great book. I think the disinfo is just a supplement for the uninfo. The uninfo is definitely more sophisticated and integral to the problem. I think we've got a pretty good handle on the motivations behind uninfo but need to push harder at strategies towards subverting/overcoming it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Age_Ahead

"The following is a summary of Jacobs' description of the decay in each area.

Community and Family
    People are increasingly choosing consumerism over family welfare, that is: consumption over fertility; debt over family budget discipline; fiscal advantage to oneself at the expense of community welfare.

Higher Education
    Universities are more interested in credentials than providing high quality education.

Bad Science
    Elevation of economics as the main "science" to consider in making major political decisions.

Bad Government
    Governments are more interested in deep-pocket interest groups than the welfare of the population.

Bad Culture
    A culture that prevents people from understanding/realising the deterioration of fundamental physical resources which the entire community depends on."

Posted 16 years ago #

You must log in to post.