Forum

TruthMove Forum

TruthMove Forum » TruthMove Main Forum

SF Chronicle Opinion Piece: Rule by fear or rule by law? (7 posts)

1. truthmod
    Administrator

This is a sobering reminder of where we're at. What does Barack Obama have to say about this shit?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2...

Since 9/11, and seemingly without the notice of most Americans, the federal government has assumed the authority to institute martial law, arrest a wide swath of dissidents (citizen and noncitizen alike), and detain people without legal or constitutional recourse in the event of "an emergency influx of immigrants in the U.S., or to support the rapid development of new programs."

Beginning in 1999, the government has entered into a series of single-bid contracts with Halliburton subsidiary Kellogg, Brown and Root (KBR) to build detention camps at undisclosed locations within the United States. The government has also contracted with several companies to build thousands of railcars, some reportedly equipped with shackles, ostensibly to transport detainees.

According to diplomat and author Peter Dale Scott, the KBR contract is part of a Homeland Security plan titled ENDGAME, which sets as its goal the removal of "all removable aliens" and "potential terrorists."

A clue as to where Harman's commission might be aiming is the Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act, a law that labels those who "engage in sit-ins, civil disobedience, trespass, or any other crime in the name of animal rights" as terrorists. Other groups in the crosshairs could be anti-abortion protesters, anti-tax agitators, immigration activists, environmentalists, peace demonstrators, Second Amendment rights supporters ... the list goes on and on. According to author Naomi Wolf, the National Counterterrorism Center holds the names of roughly 775,000 "terror suspects" with the number increasing by 20,000 per month.

Posted 16 years ago #
  2. JohnA

I think the system would break down pretty quickly should a dark day arrive where they even attempt to rip hundreds of thousands of american citizens from their homes and send them to detention camps.

you can build the apparatus of tyranny - camps, cages and shackles - but it would take PEOPLE to breath life into such a draconian plan. It would take PEOPLE to go door to door rounding up hundreds of thousands of their neighbors.

In whose name would such a thing take place? George W. Bush? John McCain - an ex-prisoner of war - putting americans into concentration camps?

i have bet my life on the belief that Americans will NOT allow such a dark day to arrive.

i am putting MY money on the 'Mousolini ENDGAME' model - should they even try it.

Obama need not say anything. The very fact that Americans are turning out in droves to vote for an african american male, who is selling the idea of social justice and renewed hope, speaks volumes about the heart, minds and sentiment of americans - and the feasibility of concentration camps in america.

Posted 16 years ago #
  3. truthmover
    Administrator

You can build the apparatus of tyranny - camps, cages and shackles - but it would take PEOPLE to breath life into such a draconian plan. It would take PEOPLE to go door to door rounding up hundreds of thousands of their neighbors.

Interesting point. As you may know, a similar idea was advanced by Charles J Dunlap Jr., a well respected Air Force officer, in his fictional short story, "The Origins of the American Military Coup of 2012," for which he won a U.S. military literary award. The story proposes that a Presidential administration violates the Posse Comitatus Act and that a military coup results. He won the award for an important reason. People in the military are really nervous about this possibility and might very well find ways to resist such orders.

Obama need not say anything. The very fact that Americans are turning out in droves to vote for an african american male, who is selling the idea of social justice and renewed hope, speaks volumes about the heart, minds and sentiment of americans - and the feasibility of concentration camps in america.

Barack Hussein Obama!!! 11 in a row! Maybe all that fear they've been selling hasn't sunk in as much as they had hoped. And outside of the Department of Homeland Security, how many people are really scared about "environmental terrorists?"

I am concerned about the wasted money, and the fascist tendency represented, but I'm also quite skeptical about the feasibility of such plans. Of course, we still need to let people know just how crazy the people in power have become. Full Spectrum Dominance is a very real goal for these people, and that includes spending a lot of money on things we might have thought totally unlikely just a few years ago.

Increase awareness!

Posted 16 years ago #
  4. Arabesque

http://ivaw.org/faq

Q: Why are veterans, active duty, and National Guard men and women opposed to the war in Iraq?

A: Here are 10 reasons we oppose this war:

1. The Iraq war is based on lies and deception. The Bush Administration planned for an attack against Iraq before September 11th, 2001. They used the false pretense of an imminent nuclear, chemical and biological weapons threat to deceive Congress into rationalizing this unnecessary conflict. They hide our casualties of war by banning the filming of our fallen's caskets when they arrive home, and when they refuse to allow the media into Walter Reed Hospital and other Veterans Administration facilities which are overflowing with maimed and traumatized veterans. For further reading: www.motherjones.com/bush_war_timeline/index.html

2. The Iraq war violates international law. The United States assaulted and occupied Iraq without the consent of the UN Security Council. In doing so they violated the same body of laws they accused Iraq of breaching. For further reading: http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/imt/proc/imtcons... http://www.westpointgradsagainstthewar.org/

3. Corporate profiteering is driving the war in Iraq. From privately contracted soldiers and linguists to no-bid reconstruction contracts and multinational oil negotiations, those who benefit the most in this conflict are those who suffer the least. The United States has chosen a path that directly contradicts President Eisenhower's farewell warning regarding the military industrial complex. As long as those in power are not held accountable, they will continue... For further reading: http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0714-01.ht... http://www.publicintegrity.org/wow/

4. Overwhelming civilian casualties are a daily occurrence in Iraq. Despite attempts in training and technological sophistication, large-scale civilian death is both a direct and indirect result of United States aggression in Iraq. Even the most conservative estimates of Iraqi civilian deaths number over 100,000. Currently over 100 civilians die every day in Baghdad alone. For further reading: http://www.nomorevictims.org/ http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,133874... http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F7...

5. Soldiers have the right to refuse illegal war. All in service to this country swear an oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, both foreign and domestic. However, they are prosecuted if they object to serve in a war they see as illegal under our Constitution. As such, our brothers and sisters are paying the price for political incompetence, forced to fight in a war instead of having been sufficiently trained to carry out the task of nation-building. For further reading: http://thankyoult.live.radicaldesigns.org/content/... http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qa6ZHYcG_EM

Posted 16 years ago #
  5. truthmod
    Administrator

I think the system would break down pretty quickly should a dark day arrive where they even attempt to rip hundreds of thousands of American citizens from their homes and send them to detention camps.

Yes, I think like this sometimes too. Other times, I think that our self reassurances ("It's not that bad" or "It couldn't get that bad") are just plain old denial and rationalization. It is that bad. The environmental situation is that bad. 1.3 million casualties in an illegal, imperialistic war is that bad. The suspension of habeas corpus, the surveillance, the torture are all that bad. The election fraud is that bad. Corporate media is that bad. Life may still feel fairly "normal" but that's just because we live in the bubble of the delusional empire.

I think that sometimes a lot of our "hope" is based on the idea that we haven't yet passed "the threshold" of catastrophe/fascism/etc., but all the data tells me we already have.

But I am still happy that Obama could win. : )

Posted 16 years ago #
  6. JohnA

i think the intentions of the corporate fascists are that bad - as you say. i agree 100%. and they find new tools everyday to forward their agenda - which we need to constantly expose.

but - in an odd way the Bush administration may end up being the best thing that ever happened to this country. The Bush administration was a tad overzealous about the whole full-spectrum dominance thing - and i think it backfired.

White men in Alabama are voting for an african-american liberal who runs on a platform of TRANSPARENCY in government. we have record turnouts in the primaries. YOUNG people are voting in droves. popular culture is on board and turning the tide.

meanwhile, the fascists are in a veeery leaky boat.

for example: the National Intelligence Estimate report that revealed that Iran is NOT building nukes was released by the COMBINED intelligence community - 16 U.S. agencies - in blatant opposition to this administation's propaganda. it was a HUGE embarassment and an act of revolt - in direct defiance of this administration.

we have retired generals turning out to contradict the commander in chief. This is unheard of in a time of war.

the latest provocation with Iran over speedboats in the Persian Gulf was exposed as a fraud - by elements of our own Pentagon. I think this president (and what is left of his tattered administration) is on a veeery short leash - and is essentially a lame duck administration.

so who exactly now represents the interests of the fascist agenda? John McCain? even if he IS elected president i would severely doubt his ability to take america into full-spectrum fascism.

and if Obama is president? we could see a cleaning of house and domino effect of skeletons LEAPING out of the closets. maybe.

it happened in the '70s. many will argue that it do not go far enough - and i agree. but Watergate - the Church commission on cointelpro - the the J Edgar Hoover revelations - and the 'probable conspiracy in the JFK assassination' proclamation by congress - all rolled back the fascists.

but - i do see ONE wildcard that negates everything i've said. If we suffer a catastrophic terrorist attack - like a nuclear attack - we go to a full fascist police state - and YES i do believe mass roundups will be possible.

this is the one thing i lose sleep over. i get car-sick on trains.

Posted 16 years ago #
  7. Arabesque

You must log in to post.