Forum

TruthMove Forum

TruthMove Forum » TruthMove Main Forum

Antidepressant Study: they don't really work (4 posts)

1. truthmod
    Administrator

I had read about studies like this in the past, but this one seems to be getting a little media play. Hmm, I wonder why the Pharma companies didn't want this to get out? Oh, maybe it was just because they altruistically wanted that placebo effect to keep working.

This culture is sick, and we're not gonna solve it with a magic pill.

Wake the fuck up.

Antidepressant drugs don't work – official study
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and...

They are among the biggest-selling drugs of all time, the "happiness pills" that supposedly lift the moods of those who suffer depression and are taken by millions of people in the UK every year.

But one of the largest studies of modern antidepressant drugs has found that they have no clinically significant effect. In other words, they don't work.

The finding will send shock waves through the medical profession and patients and raises serious questions about the regulation of the multinational pharmaceutical industry, which was accused yesterday of withholding data on the drugs.

Posted 16 years ago #
  2. Maybe we might have hit antidepressant fatigue as a culture. If they don't work as they are outlined, what are their actual effect?

Posted 16 years ago #
  3. truthmover
    Administrator

The results showed the drugs were effective only in a very small group of the most extremely depressed.

It showed the drugs produced a "very small" improvement compared with placebo of two points on the 51-point Hamilton depression scale. That was sufficient to grant the drugs a license but did not meet the minimum three-point difference required by the National Institute for Clinical Excellence (Nice) to establish "clinical" significance.

This might very well be the most scary item on this whole website to some people. 9/11 was an inside job? Sure. My drugs aren't helping? Total avoidance and dismissal.

I know many people who would dismiss this study out of hand simply for not feeling that they have any other solution to their depression. Getting drunk sure makes me feel less depressed some times. That doesn't make it a good solution. And I know a lot of people who would consider themselves a part of that small minority of those for whom the drug did show some benefit.

The bottom line: There is no physical test for depression. No brain scan that demonstrates a "chemical imbalance." When people go in to the psychiatrist, snake oil salesman, or whatever you prefer, they are simply asked to diagnose themselves. "How do you feel?" Then on the basis of a totally subjective expression of emotion, the psychiatrist gives them a drug to take, but in nearly all cases does not give them remotely adequate information about how to determine whether the drug is helping.

This is compounded by the fact that most of these drugs take a couple months to really kick in and then a couple months to come down off of when no longer taking them. But despite that fact, most psychiatrist will start "patients" on a new drug before they are entirely free effects from the old drug. And so these "patients" never really regain an objective base line state from which to judge whether the effects of the drugs they are on. Is it the new drug, the old drug, a mix of the two, or am I feeling worse due to my psychological orientation?

Back to one of our favorite quotes: "The foundation of all mental illness is the avoidance of legitimate suffering" - Jung. In other words most people are literally reinforcing their psychological problems by seeking solutions that avoid the root of the issues they face.

Another bottom line: This is all so very relevant to the issues we are facing with this project and the movement at large. Avoidance is paramount. False solutions are plentiful. People don't choose discomfort.

Western civilization is in dire need of rehab.

Posted 16 years ago #
  4. Arabesque

Western civilization is in dire need of rehab.

Couldn't agree more.

Back to one of our favorite quotes: "The foundation of all mental illness is the avoidance of legitimate suffering" - Jung. In other words most people are literally reinforcing their psychological problems by seeking solutions that avoid the root of the issues they face.

Sort of like saying we need to be in Iraq for the war on terror when the foundation of the so called "war" is 9/11--founded upon a hundred lies. Not to mention the fact that the entire war is bogus in the first place since Al Qaeda is a CIA backed operation (currently being used to destabilize Iran), and Oil is the real reason why these countries are "liberated".

Posted 16 years ago #

You must log in to post.