Forum

TruthMove Forum

TruthMove Forum » TruthMove Main Forum

Global Warming Hoax . . . . (8 posts)

1. Kim

I'm continuing to get emails in my in-box from a 9/11 activist (who is actually a lovely person, I've met her), re the supposed "Global Warming Hoax." Now, I could go wading through all of Alex Jones's stuff on this, to see what lies at the root of this mindset - but I'd rather not.

So, if anyone has a moment (OK if not, that's fine), to comment on some of the first thoughts and gross inconsistencies that come to me:

What an earth would be the purpose of a "Global Warming Hoax"?

The powers-that-be are grossly inefficient in perpertrating this "Hoax," as Bush et al still refuses to sign on to Kyoto, and the amount of power that comes from renewables globally is the tiniest, tiniest fraction, with those in Government still barracking for new coal-powered generating stations.

I mean, doesn't this reality check even make a dent?

Posted 16 years ago #
  2. Kim

PS to the above, sorry - after posting that I saw the "Environment" thread under "Top Categories," so I'll check that out. But if anyone has got any quick comments they'd really like to add, I'd be interested.

Posted 16 years ago #
  3. Kim

PPS - I read this thread, and JohnA, your comments made me chuckle:

http://www.truthmove.org/forum/topic/835?replies=2...

Posted 16 years ago #
  4. truthmod
    Administrator

No, these people aren't operating rationally. If its on the news, it must be a lie or hoax (unless of course it's some paid off scientist or Bush Administration lackey questioning global warming).

They think that because 9/11 was an inside job, everything that the mainstream tells us is a lie. They don't understand that the current media coverage of GW hasn't amounted to any real effective legislation or action.

We've had this debate so many times, it's hard to have the patience to address it anymore, but it's still gets my goat too...

GW is just one of many interrelated environmental issues which are ultimately outcomes of certain socioeconomic systems and psychologies/philosophies that have dominated human civilization. Ask the "GW is a hoax" people what they think of mass extinction or resource depletion or overpopulation. They'll likely have another dismissive, oversimplified answer for these as well. They just don't get it. They don't want to be "limited," they don't want anyone telling them what they can or can't do, they don't want anyone making them feel guilty.

As you've noticed Kim, Dem and other GW skeptics seem to be strangely hypocritical and naive when it comes to discussing the EVIDENCE or the SOURCES behind the man-made GW is a hoax argument.

Some old threads:

Global Warming is Real and it's a Big Deal (so are other environmental issues)
    http://www.truthmove.org/forum/topic/361?replies=4...

Typical anti global warming email
    http://www.truthmove.org/forum/topic/819?replies=3...

More:
    http://www.truthmove.org/forum/topic/356?replies=4
    http://www.truthmove.org/forum/topic/303?replies=3...
    http://www.truthmove.org/forum/topic/441?replies=4
    http://www.truthmove.org/forum/topic/465?replies=5

Posted 16 years ago #
  5. truthmover
    Administrator

I went digging and found my favorite moment in all the debate we've had on this subject. It was a comment I made and Danse's response. I'd like to point out that none of the usual suspects had any response. In fact, it was you who responded.

http://www.truthaction.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1...

Truthmover said:

You know, after all this silly back and forth on this issue, and listening to AJ rant about it, I just can't help but think that beneath this concern lies the libertarian/objectivist desire for unhindered self-determination. Radical self-interest. A view of freedom in which we are all able to be as selfish as we want as long as we don't shit on our neighbors. But of course that involves a tiny little perspective that doesn't view the people outside our field of view as being our neighbors.

Danse said:

This is the conclusion I've come to as well (with no offense intended to people who really think man-made global warming is a "hoax"). Since free market capitalism is the single best way of ruining the environment yet conceived, and since free market capitalism is also the "ideal" of "freedom" as theorized by right-"libertarians" like Ayn Rand and acolytes like Alex Jones, the only choice is between denying the severity of the ecological problem or accepting that free-market capitalism is indeed collective suicide. It's much easier to reject the science than reject one's most cherished beliefs on human freedom (no matter how ridiculous -- and the idea that capitalism has anything to do with freedom is indeed a ridiculous notion).

One of the things that's hardest to nail down in conversation with people who advance the notion of the 'man-made global warming hoax' is the nature of their motivation. When I've asked, I only get a new link to more "evidence." And yet, when we look to the sources of information that they are drawing upon, we generally find that they have some mix of libertarian, objectivist, right-wing, and fundamentalist religious views.

Libertarians believe in personal liberty. Objectivists believe in radical self-determination. People on the far right don't trust government authority. Fundamentalists think "man" is steward of the Earth. In one way or another tall these groups deny a responsibility for someone on one side of our little planet taking responsibility for people, animals, or plants on the other side. They all deny the synergy of our ecosystem. They don't like concepts like inter-dependence and symbiosis. They don't want to feel dependent.

If you want to get further into this subject, I recommend looking up information about the psychology of conservatism. It's a very strong field of social research.

Posted 16 years ago #
  6. truthmover
    Administrator

My post above addressed what would motivate people to find this subject compelling. So that addressed the ideological or psychological purpose which I think is very relevant to your question. But I wanted to also touch on the more practical purpose.

I think that we should look to people like Sen. Inhofe to determine the purpose of advancing such a position. It seems that there are the people funding and promoting this concept at the top, and many people among the general public for whom it corresponds to their political or historical view. I think this concept is advanced by people at the top in order to pander to industrial and religious interests. Industrial interests benefit from the skepticism by staving off a significant surge of public interest in stronger environmental regulations. And the religions fundamentalists think that God wants us to use up the planet's resources before he returns.

So its all about authority. Don't question the industry or religion that are the foundation of this system. The "man-made global warming hoax" serves as an out. Its an excuse provided by the system that absolves the public of responsibility for changing their way of life.

That reminds me of a passage I read in the Church Commission Report. It stated very clearly that one of the main purposes of the CIA was to maintain the status quo or normative standards in this country. The system has a great deal of investment in convincing all of us that we don't need to revolt.

Posted 16 years ago #
  7. Kim

Thanks for all those comments and links above, they were/are very useful and informative. What I think is really interesting is that the Planet herself is coming into direct conflict with all human hubris (some of which is described above), and she ain't negotiating . . . And maybe the Pentagon Report on Global Warming (and the hard hitting report of Sir Nicholas Stern), shows some intelligent people in what I'll call for convenience "The Upper Echelons" are waking up to that salient fact. Further, I'll use this post to express my disdain for terms like "Illuminati" for these upper echolons (and others descriptions of the same mindset), for the simple reason they turn these people into a race either less than human, or more than human - AND into a completely homogenous, all powerful, all seeing group. They're none of these things.

Posted 16 years ago #
  8. truthmod
    Administrator

'No Sun link' to climate change

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7327393....

Scientists have produced further compelling evidence showing that modern-day climate change is not caused by changes in the Sun's activity.

The research contradicts a favoured theory of climate "sceptics", that changes in cosmic rays coming to Earth determine cloudiness and temperature.

The idea is that variations in solar activity affect cosmic ray intensity.

But Lancaster University scientists found there has been no significant link between them in the last 20 years.

Presenting their findings in the Institute of Physics journal, Environmental Research Letters, the UK team explain that they used three different ways to search for a correlation, and found virtually none.

Posted 16 years ago #

You must log in to post.