Forum

TruthMove Forum

TruthMove Forum » TruthMove Main Forum

Richard Heinberg (& others), at Findhorn . . . (4 posts)

1. Kim
  2. truthmod
    Administrator

Great information. Heinberg has contributed so much the discussion. He always remains more productive and thoughtful than pessimistic.

I was sorry to read on his blog that the New College of California is going out of business--I was considering possibly studying there. They've had some financial problems and their accreditation has been revoked.

He'll be working with the Post Carbon Institute now though.

http://www.richardheinberg.com/blog

Posted 16 years ago #
  3. truthmod
    Administrator

Here is another great blog entry of his:

Beyond Hope and Doom: Time for a Peak Oil Pep Talk

http://www.richardheinberg.com/node/282

Awareness of Peak Oil, Climate Change, impending global economic implosion, topsoil depletion, biodiversity collapse, and the thousand other dire threats crashing down upon us at the dawn of the new millennium constitutes an enormous psychological burden, one so onerous that most people (and institutions) respond with a battery of psychological defenses-mostly versions of denial and distraction-in an effort to keep conscious awareness comfortably distanced from stark reality. I discuss this in "the Psychology of Peak Oil and Climate Change," chapter 7 of Peak Everything, where I conclude that the healthiest response to dire knowledge is to do something practical and constructive in response, preferably in collaboration with others, both because the worst can probably still be avoided and because engaged action makes us feel better.

Some people who are aware of global threats respond psychologically with a relentless insistence on maintaining mental focus on possible positive futures, however faint their likelihood of realization. Other knowledgeable people are irritated by this behavior and prefer to plunge themselves into prolonged contemplation of the worst possible outcomes. On various Internet discussion sites this split plays out in endless flame-wars between "doomers" and "anti-doomers" (the latter differ from cornucopians, who deny that there is a problem in the first place).

Posted 16 years ago #
  4. chrisc

A few days ago I helped put on a public screening of the talk by Rob Hopkins from this conference, we had a good turnout and a good discussion afterwards, you can watch it on YouTube:

Posted 15 years ago #

You must log in to post.